Latest post Thu, Jul 21 2016 11:41 AM by oze. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 19 2016 1:24 PM

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 283
    • Points 3,330

Struggling with relink to transcoded footage

I have transcoded some AMA footage and I'm now trying to get the original sequences to relink to the new footage. I have the sequences in the bin with the transcoded footage (with all other bins closed) and I have selected everything in the bin and chosen Relink with 'Selected Items in all Open Bins' selected. I am not quite sure what to do about ignoring extensions or characters & 'original' and 'target' - I have tried different settings around this. All the new clips have the suffix '.new.01' added to the orignal name.

Everything I have tried has been unsuccessful.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 19 2016 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: Struggling with relink to transcoded footage

Just double check, though it sounds like you might have done this - select the TRANSCODED clips.  Make sure the original linked clips are NOT selected.

Select your sequence(s).  Right-click your sequence(s) - NOT your clips.  Then use Relink / Selected items in all open bins.

Don't worry about extensions, characters, original, target.  Default settings should be OK - the ONLY think you might need to watch out for would be the format settings, depending on how you transcoded.  Exact format of project might not work in some cases, so you might to change to "Any HD video format" or "Any video format."

See if this gets you there.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 19 2016 6:14 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 283
    • Points 3,330

Thanks for your help. I have checked that the new clips are selected - I only have the transcoded clips in that bin + their related sequences. I have selected all the clips and all the relevant sequences but this time I just selected one sequence. Video parameters are all greyed out.

No other bins are open. Nothing relinks. Hmmm...

Mac Pro, 3.7 GHz Quad-core, 32GB RAM, G-Tech G-RAID Studio etc. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 19 2016 9:29 PM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 283
    • Points 3,330

I gave up and edited the transcoded shots in manually - strangely about 1 in 10 shots had relinked.

• Wed, Jul 20 2016 10:33 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

For years and years I've struggled with the re-link feature of Avid.

This is BY FAR the best Avid workflow I've ever come across. The article and workflow is about roundtripping from Avid to Resolve and back to Avid, BUT the two simple Avid metadate creation steps AT INGEST make relinking back and forth from AMA linked and transcoded footage TOTALLY seamless - it works everytime. It's just two simple steps that allows you to do anything you want with the files. It has totally revolutionized the way that we work and saved hours of frustration with overcutting and messing around matching shots.

I got major goose bumps the first time I relinked 45 sequences (dailies to graded files) all in an instant with a few clicks of the mouse.

http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-roundtrip-davinci-resolve-to-avid-media-composer-tutorial/

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 20 2016 3:38 PM In reply to

Sorry I don't have a better solution for you right now - probably would come to me if I had it in front of me, I do this practically every day and it works solidly.  Glad your workaround worked out, though.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 20 2016 4:50 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 149
    • Points 1,880

oze:

BUT the two simple Avid metadate creation steps AT INGEST make relinking back and forth from AMA linked and transcoded footage TOTALLY seamless - it works everytime.

http://www.avidblogs.com/how-to-roundtrip-davinci-resolve-to-avid-media-composer-tutorial/

Is this version specific for Avid? Basically, step 2 of the process is to duplicate the NAME field to the LINK field but there is no LINK field in my version of Avid.

HP zBook 17 G3, z220, HP z240, HP z420, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, Dell Precision 3430, Dell Precision 7810, Apple iMac i5 27-Inch (5K, Late 2015). 16GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 21 2016 10:34 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 283
    • Points 3,330

Thanks for your help.

• Thu, Jul 21 2016 10:37 AM In reply to

• insch
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 283
    • Points 3,330

Thats really good to know. I've had Resolve for ages - using it to view footage from cameras but I've never used it in this way. Will investigate. Thank you

• Thu, Jul 21 2016 11:41 AM In reply to

• oze
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • New Zealand
    • Posts 575
    • Points 6,805

ck123:

oze:

BUT the two simple Avid metadate creation steps AT INGEST make relinking back and forth from AMA linked and transcoded footage TOTALLY seamless - it works everytime.

Is this version specific for Avid? Basically, step 2 of the process is to duplicate the NAME field to the LINK field but there is no LINK field in my version of Avid.

It's not a standard column. You need to create it by simply clicking the top of the header and typing LINK into a new column.

I save a custom view that consists of only NAME - START - AUXILLARY TC-2 - LINK - DRIVE - SOURCE PATH so that when I'm ingesting I can easily see that the metadata has been added.

2017 27" iMac i7 4.2, 2TB PCI memory, 64GB RAM, OS 10.13.6, MC 2018.10 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller