Latest post Sun, Mar 27 2016 4:55 PM by Jayson. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 26 2016 1:22 PM

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 5,955

Dealing with Video and Audio Lag

I'm frequently experiencing about a half-second or one-second delay when I start scrubbing around the timeline or when I press play. If I've been actively editing, the problem doesn't seem to come up, but if I've paused and am looking in a bin or something, when I go back to the timeline I often experience the lag.

Trying to figure out the problem. There are many variables in this equation, so it's pretty hard to solve. Here are few relevant details.

I have 4 x 6TB hard drives configured RAID5. I'm getting drive read & write speeds about 350 MB/sec which should be fast enough. Most of the footage is DNxHD 36.

The RAID array is 18TB in size, and I have 16TB of media on it, which is admittedly a lot of footage. I've never edited a project with this much media, so that's a big x-factor.

I'm using SoftwareRAID for the first time for my RAID array. I've always used hardware RAID controllers, but after extensive research, I felt like a software RAID was ready for prime time.

Before I start the onerous task of troubleshooting whether or not my RAID array is the problem, I wanted to see if there were any opinions out there about making timeline responsiveness more snappy. For example, I read one user who said his audio scrubbing improved dramatically when he closed the audio mix tool. Any and all advice and experiences are welcome!

Mac Pro Westmere 12-Core 3.46GHz, Media Composer 8.6.4, Mac OS 10.11.5, 64GB RAM, Mojo DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 26 2016 7:59 PM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

Re: Dealing with Video and Audio Lag

For me that lag disappeared when I upgraded to 8.5. Before that there was about half a second before dragging a clip and seeing it move. Or pressing play and starting to play. There was always a hitch in Avid's giddyup but now I'm on 8.5.1 and it's gone. I know lots of people are having problems since upgrading to 8.5 especially if they have io hardware but for me as long as all the footage is transcoded it's been about as stable/instable as any previous 8 release.

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 27 2016 1:24 AM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 5,955

Thanks for the input Jayson - good to know, though I'm held hostage on this project and need to stick with MC7.

Anyone else seen lag go away with MC8?

Mac Pro Westmere 12-Core 3.46GHz, Media Composer 8.6.4, Mac OS 10.11.5, 64GB RAM, Mojo DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Mar 27 2016 1:58 AM In reply to

funckdren:
    I'm held hostage
    Considered negotiating a way out with a one month MC 8.5.1 subscription?(UI differences may need to be considered if on a tight deadline)

• Sun, Mar 27 2016 4:01 PM In reply to

• funckdren
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 444
    • Points 5,955

AndrewAction:
    funckdren:
    I'm held hostage
    Considered negotiating a way out with a one month MC 8.5.1 subscription?

I would if I could, but our post-super has specifically asked me not to upgrade to MC8. He says media transcoded in MC8 that he tries to play on MC7 crashes his whole system.

At this point, new bugs like that don't surprise me. Sounds like a super-bug.

• Sun, Mar 27 2016 4:55 PM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

Oh yeah and to clarify, the lag didn't disappear for me until MC 8.5 (and 8.5.1)

8.0 throu 8.4.* had lag when moving clips or hitting play.

Cheers,

Jayson

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller