Latest post Fri, Oct 30 2015 7:27 PM by motoriley. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 29 2015 1:25 PM

• motoriley
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 27 2007
    • Montreal
    • Posts 21
    • Points 260

Relink timeline to consolidated media from another timeline

Sorry for the vague title. I have a show that is being done in 7 languages. The visuals are the same except for the tiltes which are language specific. I consolidated the English version and was trying to relink the other timleines to that footage so I don't end up with seven consolidations of the same material. I could drag all the titles up on to a track out of the way and overwrite the common tracks with the material from my consolidated sequence but was wondering if there was a slicker way to do it? Made a copy of one of the sequences and tried to relink to selected clips in an open bin but got nothing. No AMA content. On V7.0.4 Mac OS 10.8.5.

Riley

Montreal

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 1:37 PM In reply to

Re: Relink timeline to consolidated media from another timeline

Make 6 duplicate sequences of the one consolidated one.

Cut the titles from the other sequences onto the duplicated sequences.

Job done.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 1:56 PM In reply to

• motoriley
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 21
    • Points 260

Thanks for the reply PAt. Appreciate it. That is what I'm doing but going through all the sequences and moving all the titles is a bit of a pain. Was also wondering what the process was for a situaltion in which the timelines aren't exactly the same as we frequently do have to slightly modify durations to get other languages to fit. Ideally I would consolidate the English and version from there but sometimes we don't have that luxury as we are versioning and the rdit is still in flux.

Riley

Montreal

• Fri, Oct 30 2015 7:18 PM In reply to

Sound like a messy problem that there is no good solution until your English version is locked.

Many years ago, I was working on a TV series that had multiple versions. It was a fiddly process as we had to start cutting down the alternate versions before the longer version was locked. Each version had to be a specific duration to the frame. The show was cutting on Lightworks, which had a wonderful function call Ghost edit (this is 20 years ago): Basically, you could make a single clip out of a timeline and then cut that down or modify it, but it was not like a video mixdown as the "ghost" was not new media but a visual representation of the EDL that related to the individual clips in the original timeline as a single clip. This was a huge time-saver in the onlines as it allowed a very quick conform for the alterante versions using the first version as a source.

Alas Avid has no function like this. We used to have the Avid "change list" back in the days when a work print was often cut to match the Avid timeline, I wish there was a file based alternative today . Ghost edit type functions would be very useful in todays workflows where often the conform process may be started before the final picture is locked and then we have to reconform as the edit is refined. The current Avid workflow in these situations is to import the first conform and cut it into the timeline as a second layer, then shadow cut it... Very messy.

I work mostly on features in Asia, where we have to submit censor cuts long before the final picture lock and sometimes there may be several conforms before we get to the final cut. It's a major pain to work with multiple conform layers. I imagine in Hollywood the editors (or their assistants) face similar situations with preview versions.

I miss Ghost edit. 

Multiple Mac systems, MAC Pro, MacBook Pro's, OS Mojave, AJA IO 4K, T-Tap. [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 30 2015 7:27 PM In reply to

• motoriley
    • Not Ranked
    • Montreal
    • Posts 21
    • Points 260

Thanks David for the great response. Avid is so feature deep and like many I only know the features I use. I never used Lightworks. Back then at the facility I worked at I would take the EDL from Lightworks and build the show on Betacam. It was a big step up from trying to read seventh generation timecode burn-in off VHS....

Riley

Montreal

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller