Latest post Sat, Oct 31 2015 8:37 PM by dekafilm. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 29 2015 7:24 AM

• dekafilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,345

Unexpected “extract” after option-dragging marked range to copy clips from a timeline onto itself…

Here’s a bug report and a warning to fellow users about the occasionally very bad behavior of a really useful feature:

MediaComposer allows you to mark a section of your timeline and copy it back onto the itself very quickly by Option-clicking (Windows = Alt) on the Record side image, then dragging down to the timeline.  Whichever clips/tracks were enclosed by your In/Out marks and track selections can then be released on the timeline wherever you like.  This saves the step of option-dragging into your bin to create a sub-sequence, then loading it, then marking, then cutting in; I also find it more intuitive, flexible, and predictable than using copy-paste; it also works for complex constructs, not just individual clips.

There is, however, a substantial and reproducible bug -- or ludicrous expected behavior? -- in at least versions 7.0.4.1 through 8.3.1, possibly others:

IF (and only if) the last segment located between your In and Out is Filler, the drag-copy will appear to succeed, but you will lose part of your sequence.  The unexpected behavior is an "extract" occurring when you only expected a “red-segment”-like paste:  the sequence actually becomes shorter when you didn’t want it to.  The section you will lose will be as long as that last piece of filler, and it will be lost starting just after the last actual clip between In and Out marks (i.e.:  just before that last, pesky Filler).

I've created a little screenshot video showing the bug in action.  This example has sync locks on:

(NOTE: I can't show the images of the show I'm working on:  when the pointer leaves the frame, I'm clicking on the Record side of the Composer window while holding down Option/Alt).

(NOTE:  If the embedded Vimeo video doesn't show above, see the attached file instead)

This behavior changes when synch locks are all off.  In this case, time is extracted only on the destination track (the track you option-dragged to).  Engaging some sync locks along with the sync lock of the destination track results in time being extracted from all synch-locked tracks; the others remain the same.

The behavior also changes if any video track is locked (padlock icon in the synch lock area of the track panel).  In this case, the operation fails if there is any amount of filler included at the tail.  By contrast, if the Out is parked on a clip instead of filler, then the option-copy succeeds as expected.  The Lock is protecting against “extract”-like accidents, but is also defeating your intended operation.

The ability to mark off sections to copy back to the timeline is brilliant, especially when editing repetitive sound elements (think ticking clock, footsteps, etc.), so this is a feature worth repairing.

If three people can verify this behavior independently, I believe Marianna or Kevin Klimek or other denizens here can escalate this to Avid for a bug fix.

Meanwhile, let this post serve as a searchable explanation for why you just got fired after losing synch on a locked show.  (Tip:  I place a Marker at the LFOP [last frame of picture] of a reel or act and type in the expected timecode as a double-check;  a highly recommended practice, regardless).

Hope this helps someone!

AVID Media Composer v8.x MacPro 2010 (5,1) 12-core running OSX Mavericks and Sierra, 24GB RAM stock ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card AVID Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]

http://www.davidekabramson.com

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 3:39 PM In reply to

Re: Unexpected “extract” after option-dragging marked range to copy clips from a timeline onto itself…

I was unable to replicate this in 8.4.2, but I'll have to check 8.3 when I can.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, Oct 29 2015 6:21 PM In reply to

• dekafilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,345

Re: Unexpected “extract” after option-dragging marked range to copy clips from a timeline onto itself…

Kevin Klimek:

I was unable to replicate this in 8.4.2, but I'll have to check 8.3 when I can.

Wondering whether the default segment mode setting might interact with this???  Or something similar?

AVID Media Composer v8.x MacPro 2010 (5,1) 12-core running OSX Mavericks and Sierra, 24GB RAM stock ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card AVID Media Composer... [view my complete system specs]

• Sat, Oct 31 2015 8:37 PM In reply to

• dekafilm
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 115
    • Points 1,345

Kevin Klimek:

I was unable to replicate this in 8.4.2

Anyone else want to attempt to replicate this?  Should show up from v7 through v8.3.1.  It's a pretty quick thing to test, despite my lengthy initial post.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller