Latest post Thu, Oct 22 2015 12:22 AM by Robert A. Ober. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 21 2015 11:22 PM

• Doug@Stun
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jun 10 2008
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 37
    • Points 520

Sony XAVC transcoding to DNxHD

We received a lot of footage shot XAVC Intra 100 using the Sony Fs7.  We needed to crossconvert from 23.98 to 29.97 and export to the client at DNxHD 145 (thier spec).  We discovered some pretty serious artifacting errors in the picture.  So we tested and we discovered we cannot export any of this Sony Fs7 XAVC Intra 100 to any DNxHD flavor with adding major compression artifacts. Doesn't matter about frame rate, or codec, resolution or same as source.  

We're going to move into Resolve to get it done but wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts.  Love these new cameras!

Running MC 8.3.1 on Mac's.

17-Nitris DX Media Composers 8.4 - 4 3.5GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Trashcans, 13 Harpertown MacPro 3.2Ghz 8-Core Intel Xeon Cheesegraters, Mac OS10 v10.12,... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Oct 22 2015 12:22 AM In reply to

Re: Sony XAVC transcoding to DNxHD

So it sucks when you can't tell them to use the 23.98 to edit.  29.97 is such an anachronism but there is broadcast to consider.

I own an FS7 and almost always start in Resove.  If shot in HD you should be OK starting in Resolve 11 or 12.  I did some tests a few days ago with DCI 4K and found that R12 creates broken DNxHR's.  Did not try 4k to HD but I would bet that will work in R12.  And 11.3.1 should be good.

IMHO,  folks should start in Resolve.  The clone feature allows multiple copies of the cam originals.  One can create Avid media and an AAF.  Make sure you check the setting to create Reel from filename.  After picture lock one can return to Resolve to connect to the cam originals.  Of course some stuff does not translate but with R12 more stuff does.

Not anybody's employee and I try not to be too much of a fanboy.  Of course, BMD's and Avid's bugs keep me from that.

Y'all be cool,

Robert

2018 MacBook Pro,I7 2.6GHz/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 560X 4GB/500GB SSD/External RAID0/Mojave & MacPro Early 2009 24GB/GTX1080Ti/1GB SSD/HIT2TB/WD1TB/ProAvio... [view my complete system specs]

Robert A. Ober
    IT Consultant, Vidcaster, & Freelance Preditor(Producer/Editor)
    www.infohou.com
    Houston, TX

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller