Latest post Wed, Apr 27 2016 7:26 AM by Susi. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 23 2015 9:33 AM

• Julian
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 14
    • Points 150

Avid Media Composer can now read all my MAC Font Book fonts

For some time I’ve been frustrated that my Avid title tool cannot see all the fonts listed in my Mac Font Book. Quite often when working for clients a specific font has been required which I’ve been unable to access in title tool even thought the TrueType font set has been correctly and fully installed.

To try and resolve the issue I’ve spent quite a lot of time reading blogs and searching Google though different sets of relevant keywords.

Last week I had this problem again at a client site. During some downtime I continued my search to resolve this problem. During this search I found a website page at Font Shop that although not specifically related to Avid and title tool has fixed this problem for me.

During the install of Microsoft Office a ‘Microsoft’ folder is installed with the folder structure. Removing this ‘Mircosoft’ folder has resulted in both my Avid title tool and Marquee tool now seeing all my MAC fonts on font book. I did have a look at the new Avid Media Composer NewBlue Titler tool for 4K and UHD projects and could also see that all my MAC fonts appeared in there as well.

I found the problem ‘Microsoft’ folder within Macintosh HD – Library – Fonts folder structure.

Within this Font folder was the ‘Microsoft” folder. I moved this folder (which contains a series of fonts that come with Mircosoft Office) into the trash and then deleted the trash. After a re-start I was then able to access all my Mac font book fonts.

I did check the contents of the ‘Microsoft’ folder before I deleted it and could see that I already had installed this list of fonts on my system.

I knew the answer had to be out there somewhere. Thought some of you might find this helpful.

MacPro 3.5Ghz 6-core. 32GB of 1866Mhz DDR3. Dual AMD Firepro D500 GPU's with 3GB of VRAM each. OSX Sierra 10.12.3 24TB Promise Pegasus Raid 5. Avid... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 27 2016 5:50 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 583
    • Points 6,700

Re: Avid Media Composer can now read all my MAC Font Book fonts

Thanks for sharing this, Julian - I'm struggling with a fonts issue but can't find such a 'Microsoft' folder. Or even 'font book'.

Recently upgraded OSX (to 10.10.5) and Avid (to 8.4.4) after a new client l
    ulled me into false sense of closure but just came back asking for more versions.
    The titles I need to adapt, show in source and composer windows but when I open them in Title Tool they default to 'Geneva'. 
    Can't find Myriad Pro Regular in Title Tool - nor anywhere on my system.

(Or any evidence anywhere on my MBP that I ever had it, though I'm sure I bought it online just a few weeks ago. Yikes!)
    I have Time Machine backups, but don't know what to actually do.

Any help would be so welcome. 

Media Composer 2018.9.0 on 13" early-2015 Macbook Pro (OSX10.13.6) 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB Gizmos... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 27 2016 7:26 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 583
    • Points 6,700

Re: Avid Media Composer can now read all my MAC Font Book fonts

Whoops - I needed to go through System Settings in Yosemite. Should have done that 2 weeks ago!

Removing Microsoft folder didn't help, and compromised some existing Word documents, so I put it back.
    But re-syncing fonts from Adobe Creative Cloud did the trick, even though they don't show up in font book.

Hey ho! Happy editing

Media Composer 2018.9.0 on 13" early-2015 Macbook Pro (OSX10.13.6) 3.1GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB 1867 MHz DDR3 Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB Gizmos... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller