Latest post Sat, Sep 12 2015 2:06 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 6 2015 3:58 PM

• LukePeeks
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, May 27 2011
    • Utrecht, Netherlands
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Pro doesn't show up in capture tool

Hi guys,

Recently we bought the Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Pro to record footage from a vision mixer to SDD. Besides of that, I have read in the manual of the Hyperdeck that it’s possible to let Avid capture the footage at the same moment. I tried to get it work. But in the capture tool, the Hyperdeck doesn’t show up as a video device when it’s connected with Thunderbolt. I’m sure the connection is fine because Blackmagic Ultrascope is running without any problem.

My specs are:
    MC 8.1 / OS X 10.10.5
    13” non-retina MacBook Pro
    8 GB RAM
    Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Pro

Does anyone know what’s wrong here?

• Sun, Sep 6 2015 4:40 PM In reply to

Re: Blackmagic Hyperdeck Studio Pro doesn't show up in capture tool

Did you install the drivers from the Blackmagic website?

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.12.6, Avid Media Composer 2018.10 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Sep 6 2015 4:53 PM In reply to

• LukePeeks
    • Not Ranked
    • Utrecht, Netherlands
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Yes, I've installed the latest version of the Hyperdeck software on my MacBook.

• Sun, Sep 6 2015 8:16 PM In reply to

LukePeeks:
    MC 8.1 / OS X 10.10.5
    MC 8.4.1 is now out and 10.10.5 is supported with this release.

8.4.1 also has as a new feature the thunderbolt connection to the just released Artist DN I0 which, in spec, seems very similar to your Hyperdeck Studio Pro as far as I can see.

• Mon, Sep 7 2015 7:43 AM In reply to

I'm pretty sure you'll need an IO device to capture from the Hyperdeck. Like a Nitris, Mojo...or AJA, BMD IO card.  I don't see documentation anywhere that says the hyperdeck can be captured directly into Avid via THunderbolt.

• Mon, Sep 7 2015 9:14 AM In reply to

Yes I'd expect that as well.

You can mount the SSD via AMA once captured into the Hyperdeck. But to capure at the same time you'd need to take the incoming A/V feed and capture into Avid via seperate I/O

One issue this may raise is Timecode. Not sure you'll get both to have matching timecode.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 11:53 AM In reply to

• LukePeeks
    • Not Ranked
    • Utrecht, Netherlands
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. Strange that it seems to be required to have another capture device. Because - as said before - I rat in the manual that it must be possible to capture over Thunderbolt in MC.

And nowhere in these instructions I can read that it's required to have one. Check this manual on page 44 and 45: http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/HyperDeck/2015-07-10/HyperDeck_Manual.pdf 
    I'm wondering what Blackmagic have done to get it work this way, or if it's a mistake what they've written about capturing in the Avid this way.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 1:41 PM In reply to

AH...I see that it is a deck AND an IO device.  So it should work. Sorry, I don't have one so I cannot say what to do.

• Fri, Sep 11 2015 6:37 PM In reply to

• LukePeeks
    • Not Ranked
    • Utrecht, Netherlands
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

I solved it! The issue was that I had to install the drivers AFTER I installed the Avid. So re-installing the Hyperdeck drivers was enough to get it work.

• Sat, Sep 12 2015 11:56 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,345

LukePeeks:

I solved it! The issue was that I had to install the drivers AFTER I installed the Avid. So re-installing the Hyperdeck drivers was enough to get it work.

Same goes for the Matrox drivers , the drivers needs to have some place to be installed for the unit to work with that host .

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Sep 12 2015 2:06 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    Same goes for the Matrox drivers

Same also goes for AJA (open I/O) drivers. First install MC then install the drivers of the I/O.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own system: 1x Z420 E5 1650 16GB memory, 128GB SSD, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 12GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller