Latest post Fri, Jul 24 2015 9:03 AM by Pat Horridge. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 23 2015 6:28 PM

How to tell if a clip was brought in via AMA or imported... Fun with RED footage

Hi everybody,

I was just brought on to a feature doc that's been passed around for 3 years between various editors and assistants. I'm tasked with coloring and hopefully relinking the Red clips they shot to the orginal r3d files. Nobody knows what process the other editors used to bring the footage into Avid, whether the Red shots were brought in via AMA then transcoded or simply imported. There are a few shots that were brought in via AMA and never transcoded, so I can see that the AMA plug-in is the r3d plug-in. The rest of the stuff that's DNX 115 doesn't list an AMA plug-in, which makes me worry that it was simply imported. So is there a way to tell if those transcoded clips were brought in via AMA then transcoded?

If they were simply imported I won't be able to decompose the project and relink to the original r3d's correct?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Fri, Jul 24 2015 9:03 AM In reply to

Re: How to tell if a clip was brought in via AMA or imported... Fun with RED footage

I'd tackle it the other way.

Take the final sequence.

Ensure no old media is online. Use show reference clips (not a fan of decompose) to see all the sources used.

Sort by source path to group by locations.

AMA link those sources.

Relink the sequence to the newly AMA linked master clips.

If you have some clips that don't relink. just over cut them. You will have timecodes and clip names so not a big deal.

For Red you want to have asequecne linked to the R3D sources so you can take advantage of the Set source settings.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller