Latest post Thu, Oct 13 2016 4:34 PM by Vince Anido, ACE. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jun 4 2015 4:50 AM

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Sep 16 2007
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,660

Any experience with the S3 audio control surface?

I'm considering the Avid S3 audio 16 channel control surface, for dual use with Avid MC 8.3 and dedicated audio editing. Wondering if anyone has Pro or Con experience using the S3? Thanks.

Asus P9x79Pro MB, Intel I7 3930K overclocked to 4GHz, Quadro FX3800, MC 8.3.1 /Symphony, Raid 0 / 3ware controller, Win 7 Pro 64, 32 Gig Ram, Matrox MX02... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 4 2015 5:35 AM In reply to

Re: Any experience with the S3 audio control surface?

You may be better to Join (if you havent already) the Pro Audio Community forums here  and then post in the dedicate Protools S3 forum found here 

• Fri, Jun 5 2015 5:20 AM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,660

Thanks for your reply Andrew. I posted here because I'm interested in using the S3 with MC 8.3.

I'm OK with the audio side, which is what the S3 was designed for.

Asus P9x79Pro MB, Intel I7 3930K overclocked to 4GHz, Quadro FX3800, MC 8.3.1 /Symphony, Raid 0 / 3ware controller, Win 7 Pro 64, 32 Gig Ram, Matrox MX02... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 5 2015 6:42 AM In reply to

newyankee:
    I posted here because I'm interested in using the S3 with MC 8.3.
    Sure but I have yet to see anyone here talk about the S3.    In the S3 forums you have people using them daily and probably some at least will work in Audio Post. So figurered you are more likely to find someone there with the video experience you are looking for or would know who to ask.

FWIW Avid's Tom Graham could be another good source.

• Sat, Jun 6 2015 5:27 AM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,660

Thanks Andrew, you have been most helpful. Will follow your advice.

• Tue, Jul 21 2015 6:21 AM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,660

Thought I would update this thread, after purchasing a S3.

I followed Andrew's advice and read the Pro Tools S3 forum. The S3 seemed like a disaster up throught March 2015, but the EuCon 3.2.2 release fixed a number of serious problems.

If you look at the S3/ Pro Tools video's, there are plenty of features that make audio editing a dream. But, when connected to Avid MC 8.3, the S3 is nothing more than a 16 channel artist mix. That's it. The Artist mix functionality is repeated exactly in the S3, but none of the S3 signature features carry through.

As advertised, the S3 can only coexist with the Artist Transport, (ie no Artist Color), but you can turn off the S3 and start the Artist Color while a project is open. (You may have to restart Eucon applications, but you can move back and forth,... S3, Artist Mix, Artist Color, etc)

So  if you want 16 channels of audio editing in Media Composer, it may be less expensive to investigate using two Artist Mixes.

In my case, I rolled the dice with the hope of it working with CuBase 8. To my surprise, the S3 works extreemly well with CuBase, perhaps just as well as Pro Tools. With the exception of a minor level meter issue, all of the signature S3 functions I tried match perfectly with the Cubase 8 platform.

The S3 is most likely the best 5K$ audio control surface, but Media Composer has a long way to go to tap into it's potential.

• Tue, Jul 21 2015 12:52 PM In reply to

• fsm
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 24 2009
    • Germany
    • Posts 162
    • Points 1,990

thanks for sharing the issues.

MC 2018.5 & SYM / BM Monitor4K / Windows 10 prof. 64 bit / i7 3930k / Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 21 2015 9:10 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,666
    • Points 223,900
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Newyankee

I passed this along to the product manager for S3 and MC.   Thanks for writing this up..... 

:)

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Tue, Jul 21 2015 9:58 PM In reply to

• newyankee
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Palo Alto, Ca
    • Posts 210
    • Points 2,660

Marianna,

I posted my experience since maybe I'm the only one using an S3 with Media Composer. It would be "nice" if more S3 features were enabled in Media Composer, but the Artist Mix feature set work perfectly well in the S3. Serious audio editing is perhaps best done with Pro Tools or Cubase, and quite honestly I would favor Avid focusing on video development first.

To be clear, I am pleased with both Media Composer 8.x and the S3. Both offer more potential than I can use.

:)

• Thu, Oct 13 2016 4:34 PM In reply to

I know this is an old thread, but I'd love to hear if there has been any development on this. Have more of the abilities of the s3 been ported to MC?

I've been very interested in a mixing controller in MC for a while now, and am dipping my toe in the water with an old Command 8 I ordered off ebay. If it is as useful as I think it will be, I may jump to an s3 - but only if the channel meters work. My ideal situation would be to completely remove the software Audio Mixer from my screen, and I can only do that if those individual channel meters on the s3 work.

Otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the old Command 8 and the new Artist Mix.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Vince Anido, ACE

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller