Latest post Tue, May 12 2015 1:22 PM by smrpix. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, May 8 2015 7:52 AM

DNxHD codec is not for commercial purposes?

Hello,

I record videos with his wife. Atomos Ninija 2 DNxHD codec. Atomos has a license DNxHD. We have the Sony Vegas Pro 13 does not read DNxHD video

Is codec http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/Avid-Codecs-LE-v2-5

It is for commercial use? We need to edit the movies encoded in DNxHD and export DNxHD codec for customers. Or any other codec

To what purpose is this codec?

We doubts because the Lightworks need to buy licenses DNxHD for commercial purposes

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_shop&view=shop&Itemid=205&select=44

And for Sony Vegas Pro 13, you must also buy DNxHD codec or not?

Please explain

Sorry for the weak language English.

• Fri, May 8 2015 9:39 AM In reply to

Re: DNxHD codec is not for commercial purposes?

You can download the DNx codecs for free. Once you install it should add the functionality to Vegas.

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 8 2015 11:32 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: DNxHD codec is not for commercial purposes?

Dzien dobry Tomasz. 

DNxHD is for commercial use. Higher numbers = higher quality. So DNxHD220 is better thank DNxHD145.

Latest version of codecs is 2.6 here: (Link).

Download and install them. They will work in QuickTime, Vegas and many other apps.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Sat, May 9 2015 7:11 PM In reply to

Where can I buy DNxHD codec for Sony Vegas Pro 13 for commercial purposes?

Where can I buy DNxHD codec for Sony Vegas Pro 13 for commercial purposes? What is the price?

Why Lightworks need to buy license DNxHD?

https://www.lwks.com/index.php?option=com_shop&view=shop&Itemid=205&select=44

I would like to legally sell commercially DNxHD codec movies

• Sat, May 9 2015 10:37 PM In reply to

• David Clarke
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 13 2010
    • Brighton, Sussex, UK
    • Posts 240
    • Points 3,270

Re: Where can I buy DNxHD codec for Sony Vegas Pro 13 for commercial purposes?

The Quicktime codec is free.  If you install it Vegas should read quicktime files in DNxHD format.  You can give people films in this codec and they can read them if they download and install the codec.  If you are selling them movies like this you will have convince them to download and install the codec just to play your movies.  I don't believe that you are breakoing any laws selling movies in MOV files DnxHD format but someone from Avid may be able to confirm it.

You can also make DnxHD videos as MXF files.  These are files that can only be read by Avid and there is no free codec.  I know you can buy a codec for Grass Valley EDIUS that lets you read & write MXF DNxHD.  I suspect the Lightworks package is the same but I am not sure as I don't use Lightworks.

Laptop - Haswell desktop processor, 16GB RAM, 970m NVidia graphic card. Desktop - 2011 pin Haswell-E processor, 16GB RAM, Thunderbolt, Blackmagic UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 10 2015 4:05 AM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,398
    • Points 17,275

I believe the Lightworks fee is only for "unlocking" the capabilities to use DNxHD in Lightworks -- that is their business model, a free basic NLE where you pay for additional capabilities.

For all of the other major NLEs and players the free download from Avid is all you need.

• Sun, May 10 2015 10:01 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,393
    • Points 97,070

No, it is a fee paid to Avid to allow Lightworks to encode DNxHD media.  My understanding is that Editshare don't get anything out of it.

The only "unlocking" is a subscription fee similar to Avid's that allows full professional use of the software.  The free version has all the functionality of the pro version, with very limited export capabilities.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 11 2015 1:52 PM In reply to

Thank you.

License Avid DNxHD. It's for one workstation or per person?

Is my wife it can commercially use the Avid DNxHD codec in the Sony Vegas Pro 13? We have one computer and one recorder Atomos Ninija 2 (record DNxHD)

Sony Vegas Pro 13 is registered in my name. Companies do not have. The wife and I have separate orders for customers (eksport DnxHD).

• Mon, May 11 2015 2:35 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,398
    • Points 17,275

Tomasz Pietryszek:

License Avid DNxHD. It's for one workstation or per person?

It's FREE to use.  Download the codecs and install them on your computer.  It's FREE to use.  Nobody cares how many workstations you load it on.  It's FREE to use.  Nobody cares how many people use each workstation.  Tomasz, unless you're modifying and selling the actual codec -- it's FREE.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Download/Avid-Codecs-LE-v2-5?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2FDownload%2FAvid-Codecs-LE-v2-5%3FretURL%3D%252Fpkb%252Farticles%252Fen_US%252Fdownload%252FAvid-Codecs-LE-2-3-9%26popup%3Dtrue&popup=true

• Tue, May 12 2015 1:01 PM In reply to

Hello,

Thank you for answers and help.

Reluctance to modify DNxHD codec. With wife bought a recorder Atomos Ninija 2 and Sony Vegas Pro 13. We DNxHD edit movies in Sony Vegas Pro 13 and exported in DNxHD or Quick Time Photo .jpg for customers. The wife has to its customers. I too have their clients. Companies do not have. That is why I asked here whether DNxHD codec can be used for commercial purposes in two and I do not understand the contract codec.

• Tue, May 12 2015 1:22 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Posts 1,398
    • Points 17,275

Your clients must have the DNxHD codecs installed on their systems in order to play DNxHD material.  (The same is true of all codecs.)

They can download it from Avid with the same link provided earlier.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller