Latest post Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:16 PM by Greg K. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 11 2015 2:13 PM

• John Keating
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 1 2015
    • New York City
    • Posts 25
    • Points 375

Need 16tb of external storage. What would you recommend?

Hi folks,

The machine I will have access to has no internal drive bays to utilize. I have 16tb of footage that I need to have access to for this edit. What would you say I should purchase for this task?

Thanks,

John

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:00 PM In reply to

• Greg K
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 14 2014
    • Posts 64
    • Points 670

Re: Need 16tb of external storage. What would you recommend?

Depends on what hardware you have available with what connections (FW800, eSATA, Thunderbolt, USB 3) and what kind of footage it is (1080p/i, UHD, 4K, ...) and what codec it uses (data throughput) and it if is multi cam or not.

For one of my last projects I could get by with five mirrored volumes containing 250 hours of 1080p footage using the DNxHD 120 and XDCAM HD codec. It was a multicam project with up to nine cameras and for best playback, two cameras per volume were the maximum to go with.

One volume was internal, the other four were in two eSATA enlcosures connected to two dedicated eSATA ports on an older Mac Pro.

At home I could even get by on a Hackintosh with five USB 3.0 HDDs connected to two USB 3.0 ports, since the data bandwidth rarely exceeded 50 MB/s.

If you know all that and can provide the information, it is much easier to help you.

In short provide information about your editing hardware and software (version of MC) and what kind of footage it is and how it will be integrated into MC (AMA, DNxHD, ...).

how old is this forum software?

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:09 PM In reply to

• John Keating
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 1 2015
    • New York City
    • Posts 25
    • Points 375

We will be connecting via Thunderbolt. The footage is 1080p. The codec was consolidated xf 50mbs 23.9 as well as DNXHD 175. We are not multicam.

The editing hardware is unknown at this point. It will be a mac Pro. We will be using MC 8.3.1

• Sat, Apr 11 2015 3:16 PM In reply to

• Greg K
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Apr 14 2014
    • Posts 64
    • Points 670

Then any of the compatible Thunderbolt arrays out there will work with 3 or 4 TB HDDs.

1080p DNxHD 175 (X or not) has a data rate of 22 MB/s, even USB 3.0 can do that, or FW800.

OWC ThunderBay 4

how old is this forum software?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller