Latest post Fri, Mar 13 2015 9:12 PM by jonls. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 11 2015 9:40 PM

• jonls
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 23 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Exception DesktopSFConsumer EarlyPreSync error PreLoading spring buffer

Ok, here's a weird one. 

Brand new Retina iMac with OS X 10.10.1 running AVID MC 8.3. Everything was working fine up until this morning.

Then, all of a sudden - ANY media we try to play - whether it be AMA linked DNxHD or Sony XDCAM EX (with the newest plugin) OR imported media (which is obviously DNxHD) - we get this error:

Exception DesktopSFConsumer EarlyPreSync error PreLoading spring buffer

However, on a random wim from an old Google post I saw with somebody who had this error but in relation to capture, they had said changing the project settings makes the error go away. 

Sure enough, 720P/29.97 and 1080i/59.94 everything works. But the minute we go back to 1080p/29.97 - the issue returns and no media is playable. 

Any ideas?!

Of course the usual things (reboot, uninstall/reinstall, etc) have all been done. 

• Fri, Mar 13 2015 8:52 PM In reply to

• hbrock
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 5,541
    • Points 64,320
    • Moderator: Avid Xpress Pro Mac
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Exception DesktopSFConsumer EarlyPreSync error PreLoading spring buffer

20 questions (short version):

Do you have 1080p/29.97 native media?  

What's the project format setting?

Did it play before with 8.3?  

What might have change?  

Install anything?  

Software updates?

Who's buried in Grant's Tomb?

Etc.

MacPro, MacBook Pro and a Cube (masquerading as a kleenex dispenser). [view my complete system specs]

Must think of something clever to go here...

• Fri, Mar 13 2015 9:12 PM In reply to

• jonls
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 23 2012
    • Posts 3
    • Points 35

Re: Exception DesktopSFConsumer EarlyPreSync error PreLoading spring buffer

Thanks for the response HRBROCK and I should have responded to the post saying that the issue was resolved.

For all future editors who may have this issue - it had nothing to do with the media. 

We had a Grass Valley capture device attached which allows us to digitize S-Video / RCA for old school VHS capture which we recently had used to capture some old media.

This thing was attached for a while and caused no issue, but suddenly - it did. 

So . . . long story short - make sure no I/O capture devices are attached if you're having this problem. After getting someone at AVID who actually knew what they were talking about, the capture device was preventing AVID from buffering the media - hence the spring buffer error. Technically it should be a bug as lots of people have I/O devices attached, but since this I/O isn't rated for any resolution we edit with on a daily basis I don't know if I can call it a bug that is going to be high priority enough.  

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller