Latest post Mon, Feb 2 2015 5:52 PM by Pixel Monkey. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 20 2015 2:45 PM

• tourne
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Apr 30 2008
    • Posts 33
    • Points 535

exporting QT MOV 16 mono audio channels with 5.1

Hi, I currently use adobe Premiere to do something That I don't know if its possible in AVID. Please Help-me.

Finishing my project, i have to export a QUICKTIME MOV XDCAM HD 422 with 16 MONO AUDIO CHANNELS:

1 - 2 / STEREO

3 - 8 / 5.1

9-10/ STEREO

11-16 / 5.1

How to do this without mixing everything in just an stereo audio?

Thanks a lot

• Mon, Feb 2 2015 4:59 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: exporting QT MOV 16 mono audio channels with 5.1

Hi tourne. Sorry it has taken so long for anyone to answer your question.

This process of exporting audio channels from inside Media Composer has definitely become easier in more recent versions. So if you're running MC 8.3, you'll find it very easy. 

If not, here's the process:

1. Open your sequence so that it is in the timeline window.

2. Open the Audio Mixer tool.

3. See in the top left of the Audio Mixer tool where it says Stereo? Change that to "Direct". You have a choice of SMPTE or ProTools. Do either, but probably ProTools.

4. For the export, choose QuickTime / Same as Source. Also in the export window, select Audio Format / Direct Out.

All of this assumes that you have created your sequence in such a way that your audio clips actually are placed onto the channels in the way you described above. So this process is simply exporting the sequence's audio as individual mono tracks.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Mon, Feb 2 2015 5:28 PM In reply to

tourne:
    3 - 8 / 5.1
    You will HAVE TO check with them what channel order they want. Chris suggests ProTools/Film order, but that is very unlikely for broadcast in my experience. Probably needs to be SMPTE order. Either way it matters a great deal (Right and Center exchange places, for starters), and you will need to have the receiving party specify track order.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 2 2015 5:52 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Yes Job is right - definitely pick up the phone and clarify all of this with your sound designer before exporting. (I recommended "pro tools order" simply because that's what my ususal two sound designers prefer, even when mixing SMPTE.) But let your audio people help dictate the order they want.

If you're still unsure, in Media Composer, click Help / Media Composer Family Help. Then search "working with surround". This should help.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller