Latest post Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:23 AM by AndrewAction. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 11:57 PM

• Terry Hopkins
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 30 2010
    • Charlotte, NC
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,455

Dongle or Electronic Activation

I've been using Avid products since 2001, started with Xpress Pro then moved Media Composer and I've had a dongle to run the proigram. I just installed MC8 and when I started the program it's asking if I want to start with the Electronic Activation or Hardware Key (dongle). I have the dongle and was about to click that, but wanted to ask if I should give up the dongle?

Which is best with Media Composer in todays world?

Thanks,
    Terry 

Intel i7, 12GB ram, Dual 23' monitors, Avid Media Composer 8.4 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 12 2014 1:36 AM In reply to

Re: Dongle or Electronic Activation

IMO giving up a dongle would be a terrible decision.

Dongles have worked brilliantly with Avids for well over 20 years. To me it appears that the only people who want you to give up a dongle are Avid. Based on Avid charging an extra $500 if a new person wants a dongle (a less than $5.0 USD device) with their new MC.
    If you do change to software activation and you decide it is not as convient Avid will charge you $500 for a new dongle.

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 4:37 AM In reply to

• Gabriel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 5 2012
    • Toronto
    • Posts 122
    • Points 1,400

Terry Hopkins:
    Which is best with Media Composer in todays world?

I think depends on your needs. Myself I have an electronic activation because I take my workstation to set on a road case, always and I can't afford to forget the dongle, but if you work in a post house, small studio or home, dongle is fine.

Once, I was on set and I forgot Davinci's dongle....I had to go back home 40 mins later and get it.... for my needs, I rather no dongle.

AMC 8.3 Dell Precision T7610,Windows 7 Pro 64 bit, 512 SSD Drive (C Drive), 9TB Internal Raid 0, 4TB External Raid 1, 24 Core Intel Xeon CPU ES-2630 @ 2.60 GHz, 32 Gb ram, Quadro K5000, BMD Decklink SDI 4K Card. Asus ProArt 246Q, Asus ProArt 249Q & FSI LM-2461W.

Filed under:
  • Wed, Nov 12 2014 4:58 AM In reply to

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 465
    • Points 5,130

Viva La Dongle! 

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Nov 12 2014 5:23 AM In reply to

Gabriel:
    I can't afford to forget the dongle
    as you are talking about being forgetful how well does  software activation work if you forget to deactivate the office Avid before you go on the road?  
    I would suggest that it is actually the same for both Dongle and software activation forgetting either is a mistake you would only ever make once. Wink  

Gabriel:
    I had to go back home 40 mins
    Aware of my propensity for senior moments my plan B (in case I miss all my visual checks) is 5 minutes to download Resolve Lite and set it up. (must remember to do this before I leave the office next time) And for MC's forgotten dongle open Avid and choose run in "trial mode"  Geeked

As you say 

Gabriel:
    depends on your needs
    Yes

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller