Latest post Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:07 AM by Mondo. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Oct 24 2014 6:36 AM

• rominarey
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Mar 15 2014
    • Posts 24
    • Points 310

Timecode Break in Multigroup and grouping. Help!

Hi

So I am working on a documentary and as I am multigrouping and or grouping a multicamera interview I noticed that a clip has a timecode break so when Im making subclips to group together in a multigroup via auxilary timecode the clip that has the timecode break is out of sync in my multicam and I don't know how to fix it. 

I'm working in 23.97 and the frame jumps from 18:24:10:21 to 18:24:11:06 so when the subclip is supposed to be 7:38:00 in duration it makes the subclip 7:38:08 and it's just this one clip in two camera and audio sequence and the rest of the subclip's that follow from that particular clip have the wrong duration or a differnt duration than on the timeline because of the timecode break. 

Does anyone have any suggestion on how I can cheat it so that it wont be out of sync. Thanks

Much appreacited! 

• Fri, Oct 24 2014 11:24 PM In reply to

• vertedge
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 64
    • Points 765

Re: Timecode Break in Multigroup and grouping. Help!

I have this problem a lot and I just make a second group clip with updated sync points after the time-code break. It sounds harder than it is as your previous sync points allow you to find the new sync point on each of the clips, especially if you are using auxillary time code. I routinely work with 9 cameras on shows (clips) that are up to 3 hours in length. 

Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 Early 2008, 20GB Ram, NVidia GeForce GTX 570 and ATI Radeon HD 3870, OS X 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Oct 25 2014 10:45 PM In reply to

• rominarey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 310

Thank you so much for your help. Is there any way you can be a bit more specific so I know I am doing it correctly.

I tried making a new group by in points at the time code break on the sequence where I have everything lined up but it didn't really work for me. As the aux timecode is still 8 frames ahead and the clip is 8 frames behind because of the break or jump in timecode but the audio still perfectly matches up because it must have been something on the card.

Thanks for any further help

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 12:03 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

rominarey:

Thank you so much for your help. Is there any way you can be a bit more specific so I know I am doing it correctly.

I tried making a new group by in points at the time code break on the sequence where I have everything lined up but it didn't really work for me. As the aux timecode is still 8 frames ahead and the clip is 8 frames behind because of the break or jump in timecode but the audio still perfectly matches up because it must have been something on the card.

Thanks for any further help

Don't use aux timecode to create the new group clip.  Or if you do create a new subclip and adjust your auxilliary timecode by the amount it is out. 

Essentially you need to slip that cameras vision by 8 frames.

It's a good argument for only using quality media - I've seen dropped frames before as well and they are a major nuisance. Basically the card couldn't keep up with the amount of data being thrown at it.

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 5:20 AM In reply to

• rominarey
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 310

Thanks the problem I encounter with slipping the clip by 8 frames is that then everything else in what would be that group goes out of sync. Both cameras and audio are lined up and then audio or video don't jump everything stays the same and in sync but the timecode is the one that jumps so if I slip that clip by 8 frames on the C300 then the 5D and the sound go out of sync by the 8 frames. UGH!!!! [:'(]

I really don't know how to fix this problem. And if I dont use aux timecode I tried grouping by in point and it just groups the whole thing again instead at the point where the break is.

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 7:48 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

rominarey:

I really don't know how to fix this problem. And if I dont use aux timecode I tried grouping by in point and it just groups the whole thing again instead at the point where the break is.

So it's easy - you only use the new group from the point where the break in timecode is - before that you use the first group you created.  Yes Avid will always group the entire clip, so you edit in first the original group, note the timecode where the break is, go to that timecode in the sequence window then edit in the new group you created with inpoints by loading it into the source window and finding the first frame after the timecode break.

Use timecode as your friend and you'll easily find the break and be able to match your new clip in. I suggest if you aren't familiar with this technique using timecode from a camera without the break in it to help match everything up perfectly..

HP Z820 16GB RAM Winx64Pro SP1/Xeon 2620 x 2/Quadro 4000 NitrisDX, Fiber client Unity client 5.3 Build 15440, 4 bay SSD dock (Addonics) Custom build: Asus... [view my complete system specs]

John

Can we go back to the way audio nodes used to be selected? Please? ie if you have audio nodes at the same time on selected tracks; then selecting 1 audio node selects them all at that time. Having to shift select nodes or add an in and out is time consuming and counter productive. At least make it an option.

• Mon, Oct 27 2014 8:07 AM In reply to

• Mondo
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 1,625
    • Points 18,630

OK just to be absolutely clear.

Put the 4 way split button (from the command palette) in a spare space below your source monitor.

Lay in your original group clip that is correct up to the timecode break in a new sequence (or if you do what i do over a copy of your sync map audio). SHIFT COMMAND M for multicamera mode, select the clip with the break in it and navigate to the exact frame where the break is. Highlight the sequence monitor enter + 8 (to take you 8 frames later past the timecode break). Now select another camera from the multicamera. Exit multicam and hit matchframe - that will bring up the group clip in the source monitor. In the source monitor hit matchframe again. If you subclipped hit matchframe again until you are in your original source clip. Note down the timecode in the source clip.

Load your second group that is synced after the sync break into the source monitor. Go to the first frame after the break or select the camera you just noted the timecode for and type in that same timecode with that camera selected (this should automatically take you to that frame). Your in point should still be in the right place in the sequence. Overwrite the sequence from that point on. 

Naturally you will still have 8 frames out of sync from camera 1 where you are missing the frames - just don't use that shot over the actual sync break and you should be sweet..

John

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller