Latest post Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:29 PM by camoscato. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:01 PM

• djluke
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 7 2011
    • Posts 15
    • Points 185

upgrade to support plan what happens to boris?

I'm one of those old guys that believes in buying software outright and then grumbling about the cost of upgrades.  Now I'll have a new paradigm to grumble about.

So if I buy the support plan subscription for $300 per year, and I get the uprade from 6.5 to 7, will i lose avid fx (aka boris red)? I also own BCC 8 plugin. Does that go away and must i upgrade that as well?

Have any others in my situation dove into the subscription pool? How is it going?

• Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:25 PM In reply to

Re: upgrade to support plan what happens to boris?

djluke:
    and I get the uprade from 6.5 to 7, will i lose avid fx (aka boris red)? I also own BCC 8 plugin. Does that go away and must i upgrade that as well?
    Both Avid FX (from MC6.5) and BCC 8 work with both MC 7.x and MC 8.x

djluke:
    So if I buy the support plan subscription for $300 per year,
    If you buy this you get all the upgrade that Avid does for the 12 months following your purchasing your support plan.

Neither Boris Red nor BCC are included in the Perpetual users support plan OR the subscription (annual or monthly) plans.  (IMO BCC Lites 4 effects cannot be considered as BCC if you own and have been used to running the full versions of BCC)

• Mon, Sep 22 2014 6:29 PM In reply to

Re: upgrade to support plan what happens to boris?

There's an MC8 FAQ that covers these items:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/Media-Composer-8-FAQ

The versions of BCC and Avid FX you're using with MC6.5 will continue to work with MC8.  You don't get any upgrades for that stuff with the subscription.  What you do get is listed here:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/Options-and-3rd-Party-Products-for-Media-Composer-Software/

Hope that helps.

Media Composer 2018.12.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller