Latest post Wed, Jul 8 2015 8:05 AM by BenoitM. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:29 PM

Clear or Delete Avid Background Services queue?

I have a couple of sequences in background consolidate that I now don't want to run. I am using MC 7.0.4 on OSX 10.8.5. I can't seem to find a way to stop and clear the background queue. Stopping the job and clearing inactive jobs appears to clear the slate, but the next time I turn on Avid Background Services, there they are again, running. I just want them to stop and delete the jobs. I have searched all over for what should be a simple answer to not that uncommon a need and have come up empty handed. 

Can anyone tell me how to stop and permanently clear the background queue?

Warmest Regards, 

Dennis

• Tue, Sep 16 2014 6:39 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Re: Clear or Delete Avid Background Services queue?

To right click / two finger click on the double arrows should open up the browser and in that upper right corner you should be able to clear it all.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:18 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

Dennis Kutchera:

I have a couple of sequences in background consolidate that I now don't want to run. I am using MC 7.0.4 on OSX 10.8.5. I can't seem to find a way to stop and clear the background queue. Stopping the job and clearing inactive jobs appears to clear the slate, but the next time I turn on Avid Background Services, there they are again, running. I just want them to stop and delete the jobs. I have searched all over for what should be a simple answer to not that uncommon a need and have come up empty handed. 

Can anyone tell me how to stop and permanently clear the background queue?

Hi Dennis,

Have you solved your problem ? I am having a similar issue with 8.2 and got no answer so far - among other strange problems with the BG Queue display (either with MC or in a browser -see here and here))

I too keep getting the list of past jobs (completed or canceled) that have already been cleared (several times) previously, as well as an increasingly long list of "Remote Upload" jobs with a checkmark under "Show Job Groups".

mjolnarn:

To right click / two finger click on the double arrows should open up the browser and in that upper right corner you should be able to clear it all.

Sorry Tomas, but your answer does not solve the problem: If I select "clear inactive jobs", they go away, but will always come back in a subsequent session...

Basically, could some expert jump in here and confirm this is the expected behaviour - or not ?

If so, will the past jobs queue grow endlessly ?

If not, how should I deal with it (i.e. clean up the corruption ?)

MC 2018.12.10 (+Symphony)/BCC2019 12.5.2/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor+Recorder (11.4.1); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:25 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

BenoitM:

mjolnarn:

Sorry Tomas, but your answer does not solve the problem: If I select "clear inactive jobs", they go away, but will always come back in a subsequent session...

What I described is the prefered workflow for this, the jobs should not come back when you have cleared the list , also errored transcodes and renders should dissapear and not come back.

8.3 is better than 8.2 at this if that is a good answer.

Also to use the browser and not the queue window from inside of MC works better , espcially on low performance systems as laptops

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:51 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

mjolnarn:
    Also to use the browser and not the queue window from inside of MC works better , espcially on low performance systems as laptops

Well...since queue monitoring works unreliably even with a browser (Firefox 35.0), I assume my professional-grade laptop is a "very low perf" machine then ? Even if the 4 physical/8 virtual core CPU is rarely maxed out when using MC...

If it is so that my (supported) laptop is now too low perf for 8.2 to work flawlessly I should perhaps consider reverting to 6.5 instead of updating to 8.3 (just to fix BG queue management ? - other nice-to-have features in 8.3 aren't relevant for my work) which could be even more demanding for my "underpowered" system ? At least until I decide to change the HW.

Ah - eternal chase between new sw features and hw perf...Stick out tongue

MC 2018.12.10 (+Symphony)/BCC2019 12.5.2/RED 5.6; BlackMagic Ultrastudio Mini Monitor+Recorder (11.4.1); DELL Precision 5530 - Intel Core i7-8850H 2.6... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:52 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

BenoitM:

mjolnarn:

Well...since queue monitoring works unreliably even with a browser (Firefox 35.0),

Please try with IE as default browser to see if that works better

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 2:55 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

mjolnarn:

Is it a reasonable assumption that 8.3 is somewhat more demanding on the HW than 8.2 (everything else being equal ?). My latest upgrade on this system was from 6.5 to 8.2, and yes, there was a noticeable performance hit for the same kind of tasks...

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 3:03 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

BenoitM:

mjolnarn:

Is it a reasonable assumption that 8.3 is somewhat more demanding on the HW than 8.2 (everything else being equal ?).

A trial should tell, remember to deactivate first

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 4:02 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

mjolnarn:
    Please try with IE as default browser to see if that works better

Not better with IE

Think time has come to rebuild my system from scratch - haven't done this since quite some time ...Not taking this decision lightly as the system is seriously "tailored" to my prefs...means even if the system partition is different from data, it still means quite some work & time ...

Will see if issues remain after that...lets cross fingers

• Wed, Jan 21 2015 5:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Fresh builds and very few customizations is what I use myself with very few or actually no problems, good luck with what you ever decide to do.

Tomas 

• Thu, Jun 25 2015 5:16 PM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

About the background jobs window:

despite full reinstallation (including OS) a few months back, I still get a long list of past completed jobs each time I open the background job list. Is this normal ?

Also, this list is sorted in an unpredictable way: there is no way to see at a glance the result of the latest jobs (except if they failed: failed jobs are at the top of the list), they seem to be mixed up, and I found no way to sort them by date+time. Am I missing something ?

Finally, how do I spot the offending clip in a failed job when a full sequence background render is seen as a single job (with hundreds of effects) ? "One or more sub-jobs have failed" isn't very helpful [:'(]

thanks for sharing tips....

• Tue, Jun 30 2015 7:23 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

Ping...

Any way to change the sorting order of the background jobs queue display ?

• Wed, Jul 8 2015 8:05 AM In reply to

• BenoitM
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 1,251
    • Points 14,965

BenoitM:

Basically, could some expert jump in here and confirm this is the expected behaviour - or not ?

If so, will the past jobs queue grow endlessly ?

If not, how should I deal with it (i.e. clean up the corruption ?)

And another (related ?) question:

I see AAF and AMB files accumulating in the Avid Media Composer\Background folder; presumably some are just stranded, and/or relate to those old jobs that keep coming back in the queue (albeit marked as completed or canceled) : should I clean them up ? If so, how ? How do I find which project they relate to?

Since I keep having crashes upon MC exit (happens usually when my Matrox hw is connected, see here), I could imagine that some housekeeping is not finished properly, leaving those queue files stranded/unmanaged ?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller