Latest post Mon, Aug 4 2014 10:08 AM by Rinze Schuurman. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Aug 2 2014 10:57 AM

• Trev Burgess
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 4 2006
    • Cardiff UK
    • Posts 29
    • Points 385

AMA plugins & C300

Confused as ever, please bear with me. My acPro works just fine and I can't get to it to see its configuration. I have got a laptop running avid 7 via the dongle and the AMA's seem to be a little confused.

the Mac/library/application/support/ doesn't have an AVX folder so I am also confused as to where the plugins actually live.

I have no idea how to get the C300 running on it, the sites send me in circles and are very ambiguous. Is it XF? I don't know.

Rant over, Any ideas gratefully recieved. this is what I have installed.

AVCHD MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.3.2.6400

AVCHD MVP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.3.2.6400

QuickTime Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.3.2.6400

AS-11 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.0.2.6400

MSP_MXF Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.8

PanasonicP2 MSP Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 2.4

Sphere (6400 1.9.7758862) Avid Technology, Inc. 1.1.2.6400

WaveAiff Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.1.0.6400

MVP_CanonXF64 CANON INC. 2.0

MVP_MSP_ARRI_MXF © 2011-2012 Hamburg Pro M1.0

AS-02 Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 1.2.2.6400

IkegamiGFCam Plug-In Avid Technology, Inc. 3.6

PanasonicP2 MVP_MSP Plug-In Panasonic. 4.2

RED R3D Plug-In (R3DSDK v4.0) Avid Technology, Inc. 1.6

MVP_MSP_SonyXDCAMEX_64bit Sony Corporation 1.7053

SonyXDCAM_64bit Sony Corporation 3.2011

It would be really helpful if these sites actually put a bloody great button with "this is the plugin" instead of acres of text ending in another link!

Macpro quad : 64 Gigs memory [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , , ,
  • Sat, Aug 2 2014 5:20 PM In reply to

Re: AMA plugins & C300

I think youy just need the XF plugin. MC now comes with the MXF plugin already.

Unfortunately a lot of folks use older versions of MC so the AMA plugins need to be listed for all the relevant MC versions.

But I agree it would make much more sense to list each version of MC had it's own page with the supported AMA plugins listed.

However even then for most you have to go to the makers website to get the plugins so you are at the mercy of their websites.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Sat, Aug 2 2014 6:01 PM In reply to

• Trev Burgess
    • Not Ranked
    • Cardiff UK
    • Posts 29
    • Points 385

Thanks Pat, So is MVP_CanonXF64 CANON INC. 2.0 the correct one for Avid 7 (Maverick)?

It still doesn't seem to work. I found a thread saying it needs Canon XF AMA plugin version 2.03 and MSP_MXF Plug-In 1.10.1.6400. Neither of which can I get a copy of. It just goes round in circles to the same drivers.

• Sun, Aug 3 2014 10:50 PM In reply to

• Trev Burgess
    • Not Ranked
    • Cardiff UK
    • Posts 29
    • Points 385

Anyone out there with Avid 7 able to AMA to Canon C300 footage?

I think I just need an actual location of the Canon XF AMA plugin version 2.03 and MSP_MXF Plug-In 1.10.1.6400. But not totally sure. Just a signpost to where the C300 grail exisits would be brilliant. Thanks

• Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:02 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 10,734
    • Points 224,790
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Pat Horridge:
    However even then for most you have to go to the makers website to get the plugins so you are at the mercy of their websites.

One of the main reasons why I never used AMA.
    Why should an editor have to surf around looking for plug-ins from camera manufacturers websites? Of course, if their plug-in doesn't work or doesn't exist for the specific version of MC, it is very convenient for Avid to point the finger and blame the camera manufacturer...

Nowadays I don't need to worry about problems with ingesting different file formats. Geeked

Regards

Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:31 PM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,505

Trev Burgess:
    Anyone out there with Avid 7 able to AMA to Canon C300 footage?

Yep, I plead guilty, using it on an almost daily basis on windows systems. But not without problems before having it streamlined. This is the site I got my plugin from

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/professional/professional_cameras/high_definition_camcorders/xf305#DriversAndSoftware

But I don't see any maverick version there yet. That may not be a problem, there are other things to consider like folder structure, which Avid is very specific about. Maybe you already know this, but from the CONTENTS folder downwards the file structure should stay the same as it was on the memory cards. So my method is to make a folder on my media drive named by the date of shooting, then in that folder make a new one named by the card (card1, card2, card3, etc.) I connect the cards to the computer (make sure the MC is off, for it will start reading the media cards, or at least it does on my rig, making AMA links I dont want yet) one by one and copy the whole content to the fitting folder. That done, open Avid MC and point the AMA dialog to the upper folder with the date, settings on automatic. Then all the clips in that folder are AMA linked. Last step for me is then to select all the clips and give them a tape/source name with modify command, usually the date of the shoot with the name of the project or item. After that you can edit or if you prefer (I do) transcode all the material to whatever DNxHD you prefer.

If you really need a Maverick AMA driver and obviously don't have the time to wait for it, perhaps consider transcoding to DNxHD with Resolve. Seems a lot of people use it to roundtrip to Avid and back with succes.

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

• Mon, Aug 4 2014 8:45 AM In reply to

• Trev Burgess
    • Not Ranked
    • Cardiff UK
    • Posts 29
    • Points 385

thanks Rinze, Quite a dilema, I am familier with the folder structures, I know that can be a real issue if its not right. So it looks like the driver.

So I waited for ages to upgrade and was told that Maverick was all qualified, no mention that some industry standard cameras wern't supported. It would be nice if Avid could point this out beforehand, presumably they check what works, or maybe that is our problem as well?

• Mon, Aug 4 2014 10:08 AM In reply to

• Rinze Schuurman
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    • Posts 436
    • Points 5,505

Trev Burgess:
    So it looks like the driver

I looked at the Canon site again, there it said that if no driver was available for the last version of OSX the previous should be good. But I assume you have tried the previous one. As for checking what works, I do assume they check it, and I could understand not waiting for Canon to write their drivers. But it would be nice to have a central place with REGULAR (weekly?) UPDATED information and drivers available for download on the Avid site guiding us which OS version/MC version can work with all or few available codecs. Sounds to me like a job that would cost no more then 1 day in a week: Download lastest ama drivers, install on approved hardware, coffee break, test latest drivers, lunch, change matrix on the website, call those firms that haven't updated yet asking them for a expected date, fill it in on the site letting us know when it is expected, add links to the new downloaded drivers, turn of the lights and go home.

4 avid systems on x58 and x79 platforms with 18 TB internal mediadrive in raid 5 each and 300 GB ssd OS drive, Nvidia GTX 580 to Nvidia GTX Titan video... [view my complete system specs]

"Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user"

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller