Latest post Mon, Jul 28 2014 11:58 PM by usatraveler. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jul 17 2014 3:35 AM

Unable to import large video files in Avid Media Composer

I'm know I can't import video in Avid without an external hard drive. What is the reason for not being able to import directly off the hard drive without an external hard drive?

I can't import large video files (2 gigabytes and more) off my external hard drive "unable to write to file /volumes/ORANGE_002/Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1/Creating/Creating8" as an example. What do I to import large video files into Avid? I was able to import two clips that was 47.8 megabytes and 1.37 gigabytes from my external hard drive into Avid Media Composer. Why not larger? I probably need a much larger external hard drive it's only 80 gigabytes partioned into three smaller drives. What would be the best one for both Mac and PC without having to partion and using FAT32?

Why is the video files that I import from my External Hard drive also have another folder where the Avid MediaFiles are stored as well? It seems very confusing where Avid stores things, it seems to me that it is a mess. Where does Avid store files on the internal hard drive just simply the files that I open up? All Media imported is on another drive? Does anyone have some sort of perimeters telling me, what is the best way to store files in Avid?

Filed under: , ,
  • Thu, Jul 17 2014 4:30 AM In reply to

Re: Unable to import large video files in Avid Media Composer

If your ORANGE_002 partition is formatted Fat 32 then that is the likely cause of the 2GB file size limit.

If you are mainly working with a PC then your media drive should be formatted as NTFS.  If you are mainly working with a MAC then your media drive should be HFS. 
    The newer ExFAT format does not have the file size limitation of FAT32 and can be used by both MAC and PC but it is not suggested as a format for a media drive but rather as a good format for a harddrive used to move media between MAC and PC systems. 

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 10:32 PM In reply to

Why is it not recomended not to use ExFAT format? If I am using MAC, and need to move files to a PC, then I would use the ExaFAT format, right?

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 10:38 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,365

Robert Perrett:

Why is it not recomended not to use ExFAT format? If I am using MAC, and need to move files to a PC, then I would use the ExaFAT format, right?

MacDrive Pro with Mac standard formatted drives is what I use all the time when I share drives between Mac and PC

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Mon, Jul 28 2014 10:45 PM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 5 2008
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,350
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Hi all,

Greeetings from the Great Land Down Under.

Yes and FWIW, I too use Mediafour's MacDrive on my PC to read from and write to Mac formatted drives when migrating jobs or files from one platform to another.

Hope this helps

Dave Forsyth

Home: Dell T3500 Win 7 Pro, MC7 with Symphony option Work: HP z820 workstation, 16Gb RAM Media Composer v7 with Symphony option) [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 28 2014 11:58 PM In reply to

Robert Perrett:

This article goes into some of the tech behind it:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/06/review-is-microsofts-new-data-sharing-system-a-cross-platform-savior/

In short, not something that I'd trust with critical media.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.5, Avid Media Composer 2020.6 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller