Latest post Tue, Jun 24 2014 4:10 PM by Pat Horridge. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 23 2014 8:53 AM

good media managment in avid??

Hi folks,

I have a new i-mac/ Lion 10.8 that I have put avid 7 on. I had problems writing files to my external drive so I have just been putting all of my avid projects to the MAC Hard drive. I did change the read write access but it made know difference. I have 2 external drives where I keep my footage and I import it in to avid.

The machine seems to be chuggy, it definately doesn't like the passport drive I have been using as an ama link and it has been struggling to work. I think I should re-import the footage into a new project as it has been struggling.

I would like to set up a good work flow - where should project files, media files etc live for optimum mac usage.

Thanks Sara

• Mon, Jun 23 2014 11:34 AM In reply to

Re: good media managment in avid??

I normally suggest:

Avid project stored internally. Saved at the end of each session the the External Avid Media drive (each project backup dated so you save a history) Plus saved to a USB stick or the cloud.

Source media should live on a seperate external drive and not on the same drive as the Avid media.

Coonectivity of both the Avid Media drive and the source drive needs to be fast like USB 3 or better.

The external Avid media drive needs to be fast for finishing but for longform using low res media that is less critical.

The source external drive needs to be fast if using AMA but less critical if importing.

Fast drives will normally be RAID setups as single drives rarely offer fast sustained output.(note most drives sold state the connection speed and not the sustained through put speed)

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jun 24 2014 3:45 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Pat Horridge:
    The source external drive needs to be fast if using AMA but less critical if importing.

Can I just add that the source media drive doesn't need to be fast if you're only AMA linking in order to transcode to Avid media, if you're actually trying to edit AMA material then it needs to be fast and you also need plenty of RAM (at the very least 8GB, for 4k 16GB).

From your description it sounds like your main problem is that all your media is on your system drive. This will cause slowdown, particularly if you're approaching 90% capacity.

In my opinion there's no need to re-import/transcode, just fix your read/write access on your ext drives and consolidate your avid media to one. If your only AMA linking to transcode then the original files can live on the same drive as the avid media, but I'd be loath to do it unless you have a separate backup.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 24 2014 4:10 PM In reply to

If internal drive speed is the only issue then rather than consolidate (which will nmake a copy of the media on to your external drive) I'd manually copy the Avid media at finder level.

As sincs says for transcode/consolidate the source drive speed isn't critical but it will of course impact on how long the process takes! If you only have a small amount of content no problem but I'm often Transcoding hundreds of hours and the drive speed can be the difefrence between being done that day or leaving it overnight.

I genrally advice people to avoid the cheaper slower drives for video work. The extra 10% or so in cost can make a big difference in processing and file copying time...

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller