Latest post Wed, May 28 2014 12:44 AM by Leo153. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 24 2014 3:50 PM

Advice on archiving a project to another HD

Hi

I have a project that is now approved and complete so I want to remove from my system.

I have bought a new Hard drive to archive it onto.

How can I transfer all media in the project to the avid folders on the new hard drive so that, in the event of me neededg to revisit it in the future, I can attach the drive and edit?

I have a number of sequences in the project that need to be maintained.

Thanks in advance

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Sat, May 24 2014 4:17 PM In reply to

Re: Advice on archiving a project to another HD

Hi,

Open the project, then open the Media Tool, select the current project and all media types.  When the Media Tool opens with all your media in it, select everything and consolidate it all to your new hard drive.  After that's done, close Media Composer, and then copy the project folder to the new hard drive.

To test that everything worked, rename the Avid MediaFiles folder on your current hard drive to xAvid MediaFiles, then restart Media Composer with the new hard drive attached.  Navigate from the Select Project dialog box to the copy of the project folder on the new hard drive, and open the project.

If it opens and all the media is there, you're good to go.

Hope that helps.  I'm sure there are other methods, and people will chime in with other ideas, so hopefully you'll have a few methods to choose from.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, May 24 2014 4:53 PM In reply to

Thanks Carl

Ill try that

Peter

Windows 7 Pro 64, Intel i7 3.4 ghz cpu, 32 GIG DDR3, MC 8.4.5 Pro Tools 10 & 11 [view my complete system specs]

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Sat, May 24 2014 5:45 PM In reply to

• Vilem
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 10 2010
    • Prague
    • Posts 1,410
    • Points 15,525

You can also use external tools MDV_AVID or Automatic Duck - Media Copy.
    And of course back up the folder with the project.

V.

AVID MC2019.6 - dongle, HP Z620 - 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620, Quadro P2000 - driver 411.95, RAM 48GB - DDR3, BM Intensity Pro 4k - 10.11, W10 - 64bit Professional... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, May 26 2014 8:40 AM In reply to

• wa
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Sep 17 2011
    • Posts 62
    • Points 845

for a more in-depth, easy to follow workflow that covers many aspects of media management not usually covered in the standard tutorials available take a look at Gaijin-Eyes Tutorials. Not only will you learn how to organise your projects so that moving them to other drives is an extremely simple matter, but you will also learn some very useful basic rules of good procedure when organising your projects.  I would also say that starting off with good disclipined practice will save you days of wasted time and lots of money in future so I'd highly recommend you get in touch with Douglas at GAIJIN-EYES 

He's helped me enornously sort out a real pickle of a situation. 

douglas@gaijin-eyes.com

• Mon, May 26 2014 3:14 PM In reply to

Ok Carl, I did that with success - thank you, but the archive was over 700 gig.

Then i got to thinking Im probably archiving all the render files, colour correction and grade files too.

What should i remove from the selection to not transfer those render files so that re visiting it would just need a render before working?

Peter

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, May 26 2014 3:22 PM In reply to

Rather than not consolidate the renders and whatnot, I'd do this:  with the Media Tool open, select your sequence, and then from the bin fast menu (hamburger menu) select Select Media Relatives.  Now all the media that's used in the sequence will be highlighted in the Media Tool, and you can consolidate only that material to save space.

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Mon, May 26 2014 6:25 PM In reply to

Hi Carl.

Yes I get that, but that means that footage that is in the project for possible inclusion in the future wont be kept ( not on the timeline now) yet the renders can be re created in a few minutes. Plus i have a number of sequences in the project.

Are the renders the pre computes?

Peter

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, May 26 2014 6:36 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

Yes, the renders are the precomputes, but so are any matte key effects, so if you blow away the precomputes, you might have to reimport any matte key effects you've got in the project.

To me, I'd bite the bullet and archive the whole 700 gigs to be totally safe, but I understand where you're coming from on that.

Carl

• Mon, May 26 2014 6:45 PM In reply to

HI again Carl

There arent any matte key effects in thi sproject as it happens (luckily)

I did the gfx in after effects and a few name supers in Title tool. Theyll just render up ok I belive.

Peter

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Mon, May 26 2014 7:49 PM In reply to

Assuming the AE GFX aren't keyed over anything, then you ought to be good to go.  I'd still suggest consolidating to a drive, then renaming Avid MediaFiles to make sure it worked before you delete anything important.

• Mon, May 26 2014 7:58 PM In reply to

Yes I'll def do the check.

its running niw

cheers

peter

Peter Groom

Dubbing Mixer

• Wed, May 28 2014 12:44 AM In reply to

• Leo153
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 1 2007
    • Lenox, MA
    • Posts 408
    • Points 5,070

I tried the instructions, but my project has AMA material. The window says AMA can't be transcoded, but the word consolidation doesn't appear, is there a special workaround to consolodate AMA?

Thanks- Leo

MC 2018.12, BCC 10, Nvidia Quadro K4200,ver.340.84, QT 7.7.4, HP Z840 3.06 12 core, 32 Gig RAM, G-Tech G-Speed eS, 12 TB RAID5, GTech Studio 6TB Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller