Latest post Wed, Apr 30 2014 11:39 AM by Job ter Burg. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Apr 29 2014 3:38 PM

• KHaskett
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jan 4 2012
    • Posts 12
    • Points 140

Group Clip or AutoSync?

Hi Guys, I am helping AE on a friend's feature and they haven't hired an editor yet. In film school we were taught to sync sound by using Group Clip.   Recently I learned about AutoSync. I prefer Group Clip because it has a keyboard shortcut, which means over the course of hours and hours of syncing I save time by moving the mouse around less and doing more with shortcuts. However, I noticed that the Grouped Clip doesn't identify the source file in the bin (if you activate that column), whereas an AutoSynced clip does.  Should I continue syncing using Group Clips, or should I start using AutoSync instead?  Is there a clear reason that editors prefer one method to the other? Thanks so much, Kyle
  • Tue, Apr 29 2014 3:57 PM In reply to

Re: Group Clip or AutoSync?

KHaskett:
    In film school we were taught to sync sound by using Group Clip
    Get your money back ;)

KHaskett:
    I prefer Group Clip because it has a keyboard shortcut
    Anything in Media Composer can have a keyboard shortcut. Just open your keyboard settings, open the Command Palette, set it to "map menu to button" and map "AutoSync" to your key of choice.

KHaskett:
    should I start using AutoSync
    Yes.

KHaskett:
    Is there a clear reason that editors prefer one method to the other
    I'm not too sure, to be honest, but Group Clip is meant to group multiple A/V sources, whereas AutoSync is intended for double system shot productions.

I also recommend you start doing this in a 35mm Film project, even if your project does not involve any actual film stock at any point. 35mm Film projects allow you to use Perf Slip, meaning that you get to correct sync in quarter frame increments.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 30 2014 11:08 AM In reply to

Job, I'd be interested in hearing some more of your thoughts on the downsides of using group clips.  I'll admit I've done this when there are multiple video sources + external audio.  Even with just 1 camera and 1 external audio source, you could potentially do a multigroup of all the material, saving you from tasking between master clips.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Wed, Apr 30 2014 11:39 AM In reply to

tfg:
    the downsides of using group clips
    Group Clips are fine for grouping multiple sources. With just one V-clip and one A-clip, AutoSync allows Perf Slip, which to me is paramount by itself.

I would also like to reverse the Q and find out why the school the OP mentioned prefers the use of Group over AutoSync.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller