Latest post Wed, Feb 26 2014 6:30 PM by Tony Randel. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 26 2014 6:38 AM

• Kyler
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Boudreau
    • Posts 31
    • Points 365

I'm running back to Avid, but have questions...

Hey community....it's been a LONG time. I was cutting indie features on Avid back in 2007-2009. Since then I moved to the land of FCP due to a job I took.

Now? I've experienced FCP7 and FCPX and I can't wait to get this crap off my machine and purchase Avid.

However....a couple questions:

1) Something I LOVED about Avid was the ability to make notes on clips. When I would watch dailes, I would make detailed notes about the take in the clip notes. FCP doesn't have that. I can't function on a feature film without it. Does the new Avid  MC still allow you to leave text based notes in one of the clip views?

2) Is Avid MC on Mac stable? FCPX sucks like nothing else. When I was cutting in 2007, Avid wasn't very Mac friendly, and I ran MC on Windows. I'd rather not have to use Windows. Avid on Windows was very stable. FCP is so shaky, I wouldn't even think about cutting a feature in it.

That's it! I know I love everyting about Avid, but just wondering on those two points. Can't wait to uninstall FCPX and start using Avid again. We're hoping to shoot our first feature soon, and I want to get back up to speed on Avid before then.

Thanks!

Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7GHz Quadcore, 16GB RAM. [view my complete system specs]

kyler boudreau | theatereleven.com

• Wed, Feb 26 2014 11:52 AM In reply to

• Susi
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London, UK
    • Posts 578
    • Points 6,655

Re: I'm running back to Avid, but have questions...

Don't worry, Bin views can include 'comments' or your own invented columns - that hasn't gone away!

(I've saved a few of my own templates to chose from in the bottom bar of any open bin, like 'logging' or 'subtitling')

Been Mac for a while now 'cos of a job requirement, having been PC-only since Avid Xpress Pro; had to run FCP 7 for a couple of jobs recently and though very happy indeed to be back on Avid, there are pros and cons! 

Maybe others will chip in, though

Media Composer 8.6.4 on 15" mid-2012 Macbook Pro (OSX10.11.6) 2.7GHz Intel, 8GB RAM Gizmos: CanonXF200; Canon 550D (DSLR); Hero Go-Pro3 and 4; Sony... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 26 2014 6:30 PM In reply to

• Tony Randel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 17 2011
    • Newbury Park, CA
    • Posts 150
    • Points 1,985

Re: I'm running back to Avid, but have questions...

MC 7.0.3 appears to be very stable on Mavericks 10.9.1 - at least for me.

Mac Pro late 2013 32 GB RAM, Mavricks 10.9.5 AVID MC 7.0.4.2 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller