Latest post Fri, Jun 20 2014 8:17 PM by mikela. 178 replies.
Page 8 of 12 (179 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Dec 17 2013 3:36 PM In reply to

Re: Mac OS X 10.9 (Maverick) | Support for MC, PT and Sibelius

Scotious:

FYI, it is quite do-able to roll back the OS on a newly purchased Mac. See http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14176.

However, DO NOT try this if you have a Fusion drive-- and trust me, I learned this one the hard way. I, too, am anxiously awaiting the MC upgrade for Mavericks.

--Scott

Hi Scott ... that doesn't really help with a new mac ... it just talks about Time Machine being used to roll back after you've updated to Mavericks ... 

• Tue, Dec 17 2013 6:19 PM In reply to

• Ryder
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 26 2009
    • Paris, France
    • Posts 25
    • Points 305

mrsimonsmith:

You don't need to go over the rainbow ... Apple still sell Mac OSX Mountain Lion, and Lion, for people just like you ... http://store.apple.com/uk/product/D6377ZM/A/os-x-mountain-lion

I don't think it's possible to down-grade a new machine though, and I don't know how easy it is to get hold of 10.9.0 instead of 10.9.1 ... I'm hoping to buy one of the new Mac Pro machines when they drop, but not sure I'll be able to run Avid now ...

Thanks! It looked to me like a daunting task and there it is.

I don't have a new Mac, but an old one, on Snow Leopard, so no sweat.  Forum here says Avid 7.0.3 will be supported for Mavericks.

iMAC 27" Processer 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 MAC OS X10.8.5 ATI RADEON HD 4850 Memory 4 Go [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:38 PM In reply to

• Chet5017
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 3 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

I have a fusion drive and followed these instructions to remove Mavericks.  I am now experiencing a CPU overload error with during PT recording.  Any suggestions on what I should do to fix this?

Thanks,

Will

• Tue, Dec 17 2013 7:41 PM In reply to

• Chet5017
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Nov 3 2013
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Unfortunately, I followed these instructions to remove Mavericks.  I do have a Fusion drive.  I am now experiencing a CPU overload error (-6101) when recoring in PT.  Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Sorry for the two messages.  I am new to this and am not sure the best way to post.

• Tue, Dec 17 2013 8:16 PM In reply to

Hi Will, Your best option for Protools questions would be to join and post in the Avid Pro Audio Forum. Click on  this link. At the top of the page you will find a link on how to join and post there. Good luck

• Tue, Dec 17 2013 10:44 PM In reply to

• Scotious
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 48
    • Points 520

Yes, agreed. It's no picnic:  http://www.zdnet.com/reverting-a-system-backwards-from-mavericks-is-no-picnic-7000022707/

But do-able, supposedly: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6161

And hopefully this discussion of "rolling back" OS becomes moot as of Thursday, but one sort of interesting devlopment for me today:

Booting into 10.9 on my mid-2010 iMac 2.93Gh i7 MC 7.02 would not even open. I forget the exact eror or if it just shut itself down but I never got to even select a project to open. Even though I was resigned to wait until the 7.03 Mavericks compatible upgrade I decided to try opening MC on my brand new late September 2013 iMac 3.5 Ghz i7 (OS 10.9); lo and behold I am ediitng! And quite smoothly. of course, your mileage may vary, but a welcome surprise. 

in truth, I am often on a sytem ahead of the "officially" blessed configurations and hardly ever run into issues in Avid (knock wood...)

• Wed, Dec 18 2013 12:25 AM In reply to

You can revert new hardware to older OS by installing the OS using compatible hardware. Create a DMG image and apply it to a new drive. Use that drive to boot the newer hardware.

MC 2019.12, W10, Gigabyte X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 32GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 18 2013 12:52 AM In reply to

They are firmware locked to installers. In many cases they will boot earlier versions especially if there isn't a major hardware revision involved. There the issue is driver support for newer hardware. To see if your computer will boot, boot from an older os on another computer that is connected and in target mode.

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 18 2013 12:55 AM In reply to

one thing that amazes me. Why do professionals upgrade the OS if everything is working. At the very least one should be runing multiple boot partitions to accomodate such experimentation!

Most are New MacPro 12 core or 8 Core 2012 MacPros with 24+ Gb Ram nvidia gtx 1070 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:01 AM In reply to

• dklein
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 15 2012
    • Posts 117
    • Points 1,600

Simple. I had 5 laptops stolen last week in a break in. Windows were bashed in and the thiefs took what they could carry and hauled out. 

I had to replace those machines. Apple only carries units with 10.9 on them. Waiting for something from MacMall or B&H where they couldn't guarantee me they'd have 10.8 wasn't an option.

• Wed, Dec 18 2013 1:12 AM In reply to

• Kaiser
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 87
    • Points 1,265

brainburst:

... Why do professionals upgrade the OS if everything is working. 

Because some of them are not only professionals, but also creative. And what makes people creative? Curiosity and irrationality.

MC 2018 on MacBookPro 2013 2.6 Intel Core I7, Mojave [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 18 2013 12:52 PM In reply to

Hi Marianna & Team, I know this is going to be very annoying, but any idea when Avid 7.0.4 will be out to work with Mac OSX 10.9.1? ...will 7.0.3 work with 10.9.1??

There is a very good reason for my question ... we are adding a new Mac Pro workstation to our team, as soon as it goes on sale, to start work on January the 6th. It will come with 10.9.1 installed, and no option of downgrading to 10.9.0 ... could be disastrous ...

• Wed, Dec 18 2013 2:56 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,261
    • Points 231,845
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Doesnt it just figure that I am getting ready today to test the download of 7.0.3 and they come out with 10.9.1 - sigh.  

I feel my right eye twitch coming back with a vengance.  

Let us get thru the next 24-36 hours and get the 7.0.3 out the door and then I can start stalking engineering for qual on 10.9.1

Marianna 

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

Twitter:  avidmarianna

Facebook: Marianna Montague

www.avidcustomerassociation.com   |  Connect 2019 | April 6-7 | Aria, Las Vegas, NV

WWLD

• Wed, Dec 18 2013 4:09 PM In reply to

• Glans
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 640
    • Points 9,830

I think we could end the "fall back to earlier version of OSX"-discussion about the new macs by saying that Maverick is designed to work with the Haswell processor and it's recommended that you use Maverick on the new Macbook Pros.

...end of transmission.

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Pro Retina 15 (late 2013) 16gb Ram - Laptop * DeckLink Extreme3D with... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• Wed, Dec 18 2013 4:18 PM In reply to

• ppohio
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 28 2012
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,435

Marianna:

Doesnt it just figure that I am getting ready today to test the download of 7.0.3 and they come out with 10.9.1 - sigh.  

I feel my right eye twitch coming back with a vengance.  

The good news is that it doesn't look like 10.9.1 makes any big under-the-hood changes, it appears to mainly be a fix for the big problems with Apple Mail that came along with Mavericks (why Apple isn't updating their individual apps like Mail via App Store updates is beyond me, but that's a conversation for another time and place). So hopefully those who get forced to 10.9.1 with new hardware will get lucky ala the 10.8.5 update a few months ago - Avid won't be able to approve it right away, but perhaps it will still work fine if you're stuck with it. That's what I'm hoping, for the sake of Marianna's eye twitch!

Macbook Pro 15" 2.2Ghz, Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM OS X Lion 10.9.1 Avid Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
Page 8 of 12 (179 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller