Latest post Tue, Jan 15 2019 6:04 PM by johnmatheson90. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 22 2013 11:05 PM

• aedwurd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 25 2013
    • Posts 53
    • Points 795

Setting duration of clip in Source window by typing instead of moving playhead

Hi,

I have a gradient background that I know I want to use for 5 seconds for title. 

I Made it in Avid Title Tool and it's now in my Source window. 

I put an in point and then I move my playhead to the 5 second point and mark my out point. That works. But, is there a way to mark an in point then type the amount of seconds I want the clip to be without having to move the playhead down? 

Thanks in advance

• Sat, Jun 22 2013 11:55 PM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 5 2008
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,310
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video

Re: Setting duration of clip in Source window by typing instead of moving playhead

By far the quickest way to do what you want to do is to...

1:  Hit "Home" to take yourself to the head of the clip

2:  Type "+1000" and hit Enter to go ten seconds in (this gives you ten seconds of incoming handle if there is even the slightest chance you will want to trim the head out at some point later)

3:  Mark an IN

4:  Type "+500" and hit enter to advance five seconds

5:  Use the left arrow to go back one frame (trust me)

6:  Mark and OUT

You now have a duration of precisely five seconds ready to go.  This is a process I use every single day and it works a treat.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave Forsyth

Home: Dell T3500 Win 7 Pro, MC7 with Symphony option Work: HP z820 workstation, 16Gb RAM Media Composer v7 with Symphony option) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 22 2013 11:58 PM In reply to

Re: Setting duration of clip in Source window by typing instead of moving playhead

If you have timecode set in the Timecode window above the source monitor you should be able to type in +5 00 enter. Minus key and 5 00 takes you back 5

FWIW the full stop (Period) key enters 00 with the one key stroke

• Sun, Jun 23 2013 12:37 AM In reply to

• aedwurd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, May 25 2013
    • Posts 53
    • Points 795

Thanks for the input. It works great.

• Sun, Jun 23 2013 6:13 AM In reply to

Also, if you want to advance 100 frames, type +100f, then enter.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 23 2013 7:33 AM In reply to

TrainerDave:
    By far the quickest way to do what you want to do is to...

1:  Hit "Home" to take yourself to the head of the clip

2:  Type "+1000" and hit Enter to go ten seconds in (this gives you ten seconds of incoming handle if there is even the slightest chance you will want to trim the head out at some point later)

3:  Mark an IN

4:  Type "+500" and hit enter to advance five seconds

5:  Use the left arrow to go back one frame (trust me)

6:  Mark and OUT

I think there's a way that's ever so slightly faster.

Steps 1 - 3 are the same.

4. Type +424 (PAL/25/50 project) or +429 (NTSC/29/59 project)

Step 5 is no longer required.  Step 6 is the same.

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jun 23 2013 11:20 AM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,310

Hey Carl,

Good catch and I agree... to a point.

The method I use is universal which means you can use it at 24, 25 or 30fps without having to do any maths.

But you are right nonetheless. ;)

Cheers,

Dave Forsyth

Home: Dell T3500 Win 7 Pro, MC7 with Symphony option Work: HP z820 workstation, 16Gb RAM Media Composer v7 with Symphony option) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 23 2013 11:24 AM In reply to

TrainerDave:
    The method I use is universal which means you can use it at 24, 25 or 30fps without having to do any maths.

Good point; I overlooked the "no math" bonus of your method.  Smile

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sun, Jun 23 2013 12:25 PM In reply to

• TrainerDave
    • Not Ranked
    • Sydney Australia
    • Posts 181
    • Points 2,310

Thanks Carl.  If there's even the slightest chance there's something I can do to make things easier for myself... I'm absolutely going to find it! ;)

Cheers,

Dave Forsyth

• Sun, Jun 23 2013 9:15 PM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 18 2007
    • California
    • Posts 121
    • Points 1,275

Here's a little shortcut:

"+5." = advance 5 seconds

"+5.." = advance 5 minutes

"+5..."= advance 5 hours

Ken

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 375.86) / MC 8.8.5 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 24 2013 3:04 PM In reply to

Ken Lent:

Here's a little shortcut:

"+5." = advance 5 seconds

"+5.." = advance 5 minutes

"+5..."= advance 5 hours

Ken

It's been over 10 years working with Avid, and I learn something new every day!  Thanks Ken!

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Jun 24 2013 5:57 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:
    and I learn something new every day!
    Darn Funky thought you might have picked it up from "FWIW the full stop (Period) key enters 00 with the one key stroke" earlier in the thread. I added the "(Period)" especially for the you. Big Smile 

The "." key works the same way for setting TC's in Media Logger, Capture Tool, (that some of us relics still use) entering a new Start TC for a timeline etc .

• Mon, Jun 24 2013 6:59 PM In reply to

AndrewAction:

FunkyDragon:
    and I learn something new every day!
    Darn Funky thought you might have picked it up from "FWIW the full stop (Period) key enters 00 with the one key stroke" earlier in the thread. I added the "(Period)" especially for the you. Big Smile 

The "." key works the same way for setting TC's in Media Logger, Capture Tool, (that some of us relics still use) entering a new Start TC for a timeline etc .

Oh,I picked up on that, but having it all nice and organized the way Ken did, well, that gave me the "Ah-HA!" Moment.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 5:51 AM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 121
    • Points 1,275

AndrewAction:

. . .  thought you might have picked it up from "FWIW the full stop (Period) key enters 00 with the one key stroke" earlier in the thread.

Oops, missed your FWIW comment, Andrew, when I skimmed through this thread.

Core i7 930 PC 2.8GHz / 18GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64bit SP1 / nVidia Quadro K2200 (driver 375.86) / MC 8.8.5 (Symphony/PF/SS) / BCC AVX 10.0.2 / NewBlue Titler... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 26 2013 5:54 AM In reply to

• Ken Lent
    • Not Ranked
    • California
    • Posts 121
    • Points 1,275

FunkyDragon:

. . . having it all nice and organized the way Ken did, well, that gave me the "Ah-HA!" Moment.

Glad to have provided the aha format for you, Funky!

Ken

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller