Latest post Thu, Aug 31 2017 10:42 PM by BobbyMurcerFan. 281 replies.
Page 17 of 19 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jun 15 2013 7:01 AM In reply to

Re: In Memoriam Larry Rubin

Farewell fellow Avidteer. Condolences to the family.

MC 6.5, ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo w/Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro 4000, Windows 7 64-bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jun 15 2013 7:52 PM In reply to

• Loren Miller
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Boston - LA - SF
    • Posts 15
    • Points 210

Coming late to the party, and it is sad news indeed.

I not only appreiated Larry's rich posts here but had the pleasure of seeing his ability firsthand, at an Avid trade show event many years ago, and his facility with Composer wow'ed me. But what I remember most was his willingness to share a few techniques at a public event which are now so deeply ingrained in my toolset I cannot separate them! He was that good a teacher, and I am always grateful for his time on earth.

Currently Mac Pro Nahelam 8-Core and a trusty G4 Dual 800 Quicksilver OSX 10.5, 10.6 12 GB RAM 4 TB SATA internal [view my complete system specs]

Loren S. Miller Instructor, VM476 Advanced Editing Visual Media Arts Division Emerson College

• Sun, Jun 16 2013 12:26 PM In reply to

I am so, so sorry to hear this terribly sad news.

Like many, I never met larry in person, but I also cannot even begin to count the number of times this selfless man helped me in my hour of need. I always felt safe seeing advice posted by Larry as I knew it would be the right thing to do and always was.

During the many years I have used the Avid forums under one user name or another, Larry's name was the shining light of knowledge I always steered towards and it comes as no suprise to me that a man this kind and helpful on a technical forum would be so loved in life as I imagine that was just the kind of guy he was.

Good night, God bless Larry. You will be missed 

Avid Symphony 7.02, Windows7 Pro x64, Dell T5500 dual Hex Core 2.4, 38gb ram, Quadro 4000, BlackMagic Decklink SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jun 16 2013 6:40 PM In reply to

Another one late to the wake, but I'd like to add my condolences.

One thing I noticed about Larry's posts, if there was an argument developing in a thread, he would always jump in to calm things down, bring things to a professional level.

• Mon, Jun 17 2013 4:21 PM In reply to

• steelborn
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Studio City
    • Posts 238
    • Points 3,390

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news. Larry has helped me on numerous occassions since I joined the forum over 10 years ago. He will be greatly missed.

Erik

Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26 Ghz 32 GB Ram RADEON HD 5870 1024 MB Mavericks 10.9.1 Media Composer 7.0.3 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2013 12:01 PM In reply to

• Vance
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 39
    • Points 500

Wow what a shock. I just dropped in here to ask a question, fully expecting an answer from Larry before I finished typing it. What a great loss to this community, and I am sure to all the other circles he touched in life.

• Wed, Jun 19 2013 7:31 PM In reply to

• Rick Rose
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jul 30 2011
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
    • Posts 61
    • Points 775

Rest in peace Larry

OSX 10.10.5 Yosemite, Avid 8.8.5, Quicktime 7.6.6 Mac Pro 3,1 12 Gig Ram, ATI 5770, E4P eSata card [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jun 19 2013 9:16 PM In reply to

• siencs
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2007
    • Aberystwyth, Wales
    • Posts 441
    • Points 5,105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Shocked and saddened to read this news. RIP Larry.

MC Symphony 8.8.5 on MacPro 3GHz 8-Core Xeon 12GB RAM, OS 10.12.6, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K MC Symphony 8.8.1 on iMac [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 24 2013 6:56 PM In reply to

Re: RIP Larry Rubin

Larry helped me numerour times with a variety of problems.  He worked for the military and i work for law enforecment so he understadn about the time restraints and lack of equipment.  RIP Larry.

xw8400 4 gigs ram, fx 1500 composer 6.0 Avid DVD, AVID FX windows 7 [view my complete system specs]

RS

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 6:11 PM In reply to

• Mark Job
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Feb 27 2007
    • Port Hardy, B.C., Canada
    • Posts 1,620
    • Points 20,465

Re: RIP Larry Rubin

Dear Editors:

I just logged back onto the forum with a tech question after being absent for several months only to learn of the shocking and untimely death of Larry Rubin ! OMG ! I am so shocked and saddened to learn of this dear man's passing. Larry was so kind and patient to me, and he has helped me out with many a mind boggling tech question on Media Composer. Larry was a wealth of knowledge, and a dedicated, creative editor, and a true professional. I will greatly miss him. Wow ! I'm so sad now - Gosh this is shocking news ! [:'(]

Respectfully,

Mark Andrew Job

Now Newer Avid Certified MacBook Pro version 8.3 early 2011 with Core i7 (2720 QM) Quad 2.2 GHz CPU with a 6 MB Shared L3 Cache , 16 GB of DDR 3 - 1333... [view my complete system specs]

The thing is don't peak too early in life. 

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 6:52 PM In reply to

• GDBrown85
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Mar 10 2013
    • Posts 53
    • Points 630

Very sad news, always very helpful and patient with me.

• Tue, Jun 25 2013 8:19 PM In reply to

• daktulus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Posts 957
    • Points 13,685

He was a wonderful person, great teacher and advisor. He was amazingly knowlegeable! His kindness and politeness were outstanding and he set a wonderfol tone. Is there more information about why he died?

R.I.P.

i7, Nvidia 860M, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, MC 7.03. Dell Precision M90, Core2Duo 2.16Ghz, FX1500, SATA 7200rpm, MC 4.05. Dell650, 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, FX500, 5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jun 25 2013 8:34 PM In reply to

daktulus:
    Is there more information about why he died?
    The most appropriate answer I have seen  to that question was that "God needed urgent help with his editing problems and sadly would not settle for anyone less than the very best advisor"

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 3:58 PM In reply to

• davidmaheu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jun 26 2013
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

Larry, I spoke with you on the phone but we never got a chance to meet. It's clear though that you will live on here, teaching the next generation. You will be missed Larry.

• Wed, Jun 26 2013 7:57 PM In reply to

Terrible, awful news. What an incredible guy Larry was...we spoke often of getting together when the band I play keyboards with (Steppenwolf) got close to Washington. I sent a few Steppenwolf t-shirts and DVD's as "thank-you" gifts for all the selfless time he gave and specific questions he answered for me on a regular basis. He helped me with transition ideas and solutions to the videos that are projected behind us when we play. Here's an example as recorded by an audience member...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbxDJip1sq8

...think of Larry as you watch, I couldn't have realized the project without him.

My deepest condolences to his family and close relatives...Larry will be in my thoughts every time I use MC.

Michael Wilk

Page 17 of 19 (282 items) « First ... < Previous 15 16 17 18 19 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller