Latest post Wed, May 22 2013 12:54 AM by carlgmi. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, May 20 2013 5:16 AM

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,515

What is with the Colour Grading in Australian TVC'S right now!?!?!?

What is with the Colour Grading in Australian TVC'S right now!

Something I've noticed for quite some time is that terrible 'turn the contrast up look' colour grading to all australian TVC'S right now, I hate it it looks 'smokey' and horrible! what happened to nice deep colour depth? HATE-IT. looks cheap.

• Tue, May 21 2013 1:50 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

Re: What is with the Colour Grading in Australian TVC'S right now!?!?!?

Tim, back when I was cutting commercials for a living, I used to work with one director who deliberately black- and white-crushed everything.  He was convinced it gave his work "punch" - whatever that may mean!

I suspect that what you're seeing now is the current fashionable "look".  But I agree with you.  It's worse still when you've just approved the grade on a made for TV feature but all the promos made by the network have that look too.  As I have just suffered.  I just hope that when it goes to air it's our grade we see and not the one in the promos.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, May 21 2013 3:01 AM In reply to

• Tim
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 18 2009
    • Australia
    • Posts 564
    • Points 7,515

Agreed, with the lack of colour depth, and blacks that look grey or brown in some cases why bother using devinci what a waste!, if they really want that non-colour depth look just use a highly compressed codec and low end handycam, its just a fad it will go away in year or two

• Tue, May 21 2013 12:16 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,375
    • Points 54,035

Its this new "reality tv" look. There's also a tendency for hot audio. About as bad as "shakey cam".

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.9. Win 20H2  Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Tue, May 21 2013 2:23 PM In reply to

Trends come and go...   A few years ago the desaturated "monochromatic" color look was trendy.  Stylistically, it was effective about 10% of the time.   Then we had the over-saturated color trend.   Further back, everyone was shooting reenactment footage on high gain to give it a super grainy look.  

TVJohn:

Its this new "reality tv" look. There's also a tendency for hot audio. About as bad as "shakey cam".

Back in the heyday of the herky-jerky camera style, I once started setting up a tripod for an interview for a documentary and this young kid--the executive producer's nephew who was shooting B camera--says to me, "You don't need that.  Don't you know how to shoot?"   When we started taping, he danced around the interviewee, shooting from above, shooting from the side, shooting up the subject's nose.  He was never still for more than a second... The kids's stuff was unusable.  I heard he's now working in reality TV. 

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Tue, May 21 2013 9:10 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,379
    • Points 233,205
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Terry Snyder:
    Trends come and go...

Trends are great if you create the trend

Trends are not so great if you follow the trend

In fact following trends is a pretty sure indication that you lack originality, creativity and self-confidence.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 22 2013 12:10 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

drbgaijin:

Douglas, it must be possible to turn that into a haiku!

In any case I've already stolen it.  I've just printed it out and blue tacked it to my wall.  A more permanent version will follow...

My personal peeve (well, one of them, anyway) is old-style TV images that are soft with coarse visible lines through them.  Having worked in that era, we had sharper pictures in black and white on 2" quad videotape than later color helical scan VCRs produced.  We had nearly twice the bandwidth than the luminance channel of a beta machine.  And to see visible lines you had to get pretty *** close to the screen as well.

An associated peeve is using faked sepia-toned black and white for scenes set in the early 20th century.  Even if they get the sepia effect right - and few do - three-color film was shot as early as 1899.  In any case the world didn't suddenly become color when color film became widely used.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 22 2013 12:21 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,379
    • Points 233,205
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

jwrl:

drbgaijin:

Douglas, it must be possible to turn that into a haiku!

In any case I've already stolen it.  I've just printed it out and blue tacked it to my wall.  A more permanent version will follow...

Geeked Yes Big Smile

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 22 2013 12:44 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,420
    • Points 97,425

jwrl:
    And to see visible lines you had to get pretty *** close to the screen as well.
    I occasionally forget that words in common usage in my country are seen as swearing in North America.  I should have said "dashed" where the forum software has put those three asterisks.  Sorry.  No offence meant.

• Wed, May 22 2013 12:54 AM In reply to

• carlgmi
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Western Australia
    • Posts 754
    • Points 9,340

drbgaijin:

In fact following trends is a pretty sure indication that you lack originality, creativity and self-confidence.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  Was DaVinci the first to paint on a ceiling images of heavenly scenes?  Was Monet the first to paint in an impressionist style using light to convey a scene?  Following trends for trends sake is like adding FX because you can - unless it is appropriate it is as you state, but if used in context with the scene and even improved upon it is totally justified.  Some would call it flattery of the original creator.

MC8.10 Win 7 64 with Dongle, Dual 10 core Xeon, Quadro K4000, Adaptec RAID 5-8x3TB, External TB2 4x3TB, 64G RAM, BM Intensity Pro 4K. NewBlue Titler 6... [view my complete system specs]

Vote 1 - Dongles.

UME an old engine, now with 4K, mags and furry dice....

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller