Latest post Thu, Mar 14 2013 9:17 PM by Jason Lyons (aka. avidzombie). 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:11 PM

Lock Bin Selection question

I tried locking a bunch of subclips in a bin so that all that work wouldnt be accidentally changed (esp since there is limited undo support for bin operations) and to my amazement I was able to modify the name as well as other user-entered data.   I even verified that the item was indeed locked by making sure the lock collumn was present in the bin, sure enough the little lock icon was there.    

I did not see it listed in the recently released updates as a fix and I am on an early release, but being at the end of a project just prior to finishing I wont be updating anything until the masters are out the door.   

So, am I missing something?   Isn't locking the item supposed to disallow changes to the name and other fields?  

• Wed, Mar 13 2013 1:27 AM In reply to

Re: Lock Bin Selection question

I wonder if it is something specific to my system... can someone please try locking a clip in a bin and let me know if you can still modify the clip name?

• Wed, Mar 13 2013 7:01 PM In reply to

You can modify a lot while the bin is open...but when you close the bin...it will ask if you want to "Save a copy," as you cannot save those changes.  If you click DON'T SAVE...the bin will close without any of the changes saved.

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 5:19 AM In reply to

Badabah WHAT!  Really?   That is a bizare method of locking.   

Thanks much for your input Shane, but I just tried it and the bin just closed as normal no dialogue box asking me to save... Has it always been that way? I don't remember it being like that way back in the AVR3 days.      

Oh and thanks for the transition tutorial on Vimeo, very helpful.

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:20 PM In reply to

Hi Im just posting again as I still cannot seem to lock items in bins to prevent modification.   For example, I will lock a subclip in a bin, assumption being it then cannot be modified much like locking tracks in a sequence.   Even after locking an item I can modify its name and other fields, then when I close the bin it saves as normal.   

Is this a bug?   

I have updated my software to 6.5.2

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 7:40 PM In reply to

The only way I know of to lock a bin is to be on a Unity or ISIS, shared project...and be the first to open it.

• Thu, Mar 14 2013 9:17 PM In reply to

After reading the manual closer I see that it only prevents deletion of a clip and does not pertain to modification of fields.  It would be nice to have that feature...      

From Pg. 337 of Manual.

Locking and Unlocking Items in a Bin

You can lock any items in a bin — including source clips, master clips, subclips, and sequences — to prevent deletion. When you lock clips in a bin, you lock their associated media files on your desktop as well.

To lock items:

1. Click a clip, subclip, or sequence to select it. Ctrl+click (Windows) or Cmd+click (Macintosh) additional clips, if necessary.

2. Select Clip > Lock Bin Selection. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller