Latest post Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:36 AM by F J L Inc. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:27 PM

• F J L Inc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 20
    • Points 335

MC 6.5.2 Keeps Crashing

I'm frustrated. I had 6.0 and upgraded to 6.5.2 on a brand new Mac Pro. It is consistently crashing. Sometimes when I try to move icons from the Command Palette. Sometimes when I try to export. Sometimes when I'm using Titles. Sometimes when I accidently try to drag an image into the timeline from a bin. No rhyme or reason. I just started using the new Avid recently from FCP. I'm starting to get comfortable with it, but the crashing is driving me nuts. And costing me time to boot. At first I thought it was because I had Chrome or Word or Mail or other programs open. I try not to edit with other programs active, but on occasion I just need something. Even when I closed all programs today, it continued to crash. I reloaded it from the download I got from the web site yesterday. Because at one point it compoetely frazzled. The little spinning wheel is driving me nuts. It may be a setting somewhere on the Mac, but I don't even know where to begin to look. Please help!!!!

FJL

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

AMD Radeon HD 6770M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 384 MB

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 3:48 PM In reply to

Re: MC 6.5.2 Keeps Crashing

same problem, did you solve it?

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 3:51 PM In reply to

Can you post your specs Keith including Avid version, RAM and OS.

Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:12 PM In reply to

osx 10.7.5 media composer 6.5.2 (though had this problem with 6.5) macpro 3,1 10gig ram, SSD system drive, 12TB raid, gt120 + gtx285, BM decklink Pro, also on system After Effects, FCP, FCPX, Photoshop, Lightroom, Davinci Resolve etc

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:39 PM In reply to

My initial thoughts are the dual video cards and Decklink.  For testing purposes have you yanked the BM Decklink Pro and or one of the video cards?  By doing so, you can eliminate or identify each component as the problem and then work to fix it.

Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 4:57 PM In reply to

Thanks for the quick reply, will try this when have some down time. It is worth noting that it is the only programme that this behaviour is noticable, it is almost like MC cant keep up with me- it happened just now when I was selecting a set of clips in a bin- rapidly selecting one after another with the apple key. Am also wondering if it is bad ram. as i said the strange thing is the fact that this is the only prog effected. and only when dragging clips or fx, otherwise is stable. currently am saving prior to any dragging selecting...

• Thu, Feb 21 2013 6:32 PM In reply to

Different hardware components can react to different software in different ways.  RAM issues would be lower on my suspected list of culprits.  In my experience, bad RAM causes machine level crashing / startrup issues vs. a specific application. My guess is the decklink and or its drivers.

• Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:36 AM In reply to

• F J L Inc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Oct 17 2012
    • Posts 20
    • Points 335

I conpletely uninstalled all MC and MC related programs and reinstalled them. So far they seem to be stable, but I haven't used them in the past month. So when I get back on in a few weeks I'll let you know if I have any more issues. Good luck.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller