Latest post Wed, Jun 6 2018 5:43 AM by frediko. 35 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:39 PM

Media Composer Transfer modes/Layer blending

Hello Avid!

I'm currently on MC 5.5 and I do a lot of layer blending (Transfer modes)! It's a part of almost every project that I do and I use the great free plugin from Profound Effects called DMN Transfer. The problem is that it is a 32bit plugin and therefore can not be used with MC6.

It's 2013 and Avid MC still can't do layer blending natively. I know this is a MAJOR issue for many editors. Just do a quick google search. This should at least be available as a native plugin but even better as a right click option in the timeline!

I don't know if you guys have an agreement with BorisFX or something like that but right now this is the reason why I'm not upgrading from MC 5.5 to 6.5 and the reason why I'm considering switching to Premier Pro.

To some people this may be a small thing but to me it is major. As I said - I do a lot of layer blending.

So my request is: Give us a way to do layer blending inside Media Composer! Not using Avid FX or expensive 3rd Party plugins.

Cheers, Jeppe

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:07 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

Re: Media Composer Transfer modes/Layer blending

Doesn´t 3D Warp do what you want?

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:13 PM In reply to

mjolnarn:
    Doesn´t 3D Warp do what you want?

Or if not that, Paint Effect has transfer modes.

Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:35 PM In reply to

Don't ask me - give me the answer instead. I have found a lots of posts suggesting 3d Warp or Paint Effect, but non that tells you how to do it.

So please tell me how to do it with either one of those effects.

I want to be able to blend V2 into V1 using blend options like Add, Multiply, Screen, Overlay Subtract and so on.

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:48 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

There is a thread at the fast start subforum that might give you a good start

Link

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:04 PM In reply to

@mjolnarn

Could you provide a direct link to the thread that holds the answer? Or could you explain how you use 3D Warp to do blending?

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:08 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

In short, apply 3D Warp to layer 2 and play a little with the transpararency settings, you can keyframe them if you want to and also add borders and resize / scalings + a ton of other things.

If you want one more layer, add that to V3 and repeat the just described workflow, one more layer will be V4 and repeat once again etc etc

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:12 PM In reply to

JeppeSvendsen:
    Don't ask me - give me the answer instead.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=avid+paint+effect+tutorial&meta=

Media Composer 2018.5 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:14 PM In reply to

@mjolnarn

Thanks, but it has got nothing to do with what I want to do. Read the post again and give it a +1 if you agree.

Cheers, Jeppe

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:17 PM In reply to

For when you come back and tell me the paint effect is inadequate, here's a thread asking for alternatives to the DMN plugin:

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/103453/607954.aspx

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:37 PM In reply to

And here I am telling you exactly that. Because the Paint Effect won't allow me to blend a video layer into another video layer. Anyone using Photoshop would know what I am talking about.

I'm kind of surprised of the reactions to my post. Guess you guys don't agree or just don't need layer blending in your workflow. That's ok with me.

I'm still hoping that Avid will look into it though, since it should be a standard feature in video editing software.

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:46 PM In reply to

JeppeSvendsen:
    I'm kind of surprised of the reactions to my post. Guess you guys don't agree or just don't need layer blending in your workflow. That's ok with me.

We're just trying to help you find a way to do what you need to do with what you have available.

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:50 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

camoscato:

JeppeSvendsen:

We're just trying to help you find a way to do what you need to do with what you have available.

Yes, and to add to my descriptions you can step inside each layer to add a CC if you want to.

Tomas 

• Wed, Jan 23 2013 9:49 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 9,250
    • Points 206,020
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

JeppeSvendsen:
    I want to be able to blend V2 into V1 using blend options like Add, Multiply, Screen, Overlay Subtract and so on.

Jeppe,

Sorry I was asleep in Japan when this thread was very active.

I haven't used Avid's native effects for quite some time, but I am pretty sure that what you want is included in some of the plugins.
    You are on MC 5.5 so, unfortunately, you may not have AvidFX (Boris Red).  When you upgrade to MC 6.x.x, you also get Avid FX for free.
    Avid FX makes good use of the functions you are asking for in most of its filters. (see my screenshot from a typical Avid FX session)

My answer does not address your question directly as to how to do Add, multiply etc. from Avid's native AVX filters, but maybe it gives you something to think about.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of Online Communities and Forums/Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]

marianna.montague@avid.com

mobile 813-493-6800

AOL IM:  avidmarianna

Twitter:  avidmarianna

WWLD

• Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:54 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,305

drbgaijin:

Avid FX makes good use of the functions you are asking for in most of its filters.

The OP pretty much excluded this in his first post Douglas, that´s the reason for us to give him alternative workflows

JeppeSvendsen:

So my request is: Give us a way to do layer blending inside Media Composer! Not using Avid FX or expensive 3rd Party plugins.

Cheers, Jeppe

Tomas 

Page 1 of 3 (36 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller