Latest post Tue, Dec 25 2012 8:08 AM by Wm.Busby. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Dec 24 2012 1:23 PM

Removing Camera Vibration From Video

I used a Cannon HD video to record a couple performances of a Rock Band on a tripod with Mead vibration dampners(designed for a telescope) to try to eliminate the periodic resonant vibration created by the bass guitar on some notes.  It was marginally effective.  I still got the vibration in the HD video recording on the low G note.  Other resonant vibrations were eliminated by the Meade Dampners on the tripod base.

One of the videos can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjiMKph09aw

In this video, I used the Highhat stand light reflection and right microphone stand to mic holder white dot for tracking.

I tried to remove the remaining periodic vibration using the stabilize plugin in Avid Media Composer 5.5 which ran automatically when I pulled the effect over to the track, with marginal results.  I changed the 50 to 100 in the tracking window and saw no improvement.  I am looking for ideas on what I might do to remove the vibration from the video when the bass player hits the low G note.  When that note is not hit, there is no vibration in the video.  Is there a technique using stabilize I am unaware of ?  There are several static lights in the video with great contrast that can be used for tracking, but, they obviously vibrate in the video with everything else with the resonant frequency camera shake. 

Would pulling it into Adobe and using their stabilizer work better ?  Other ideas welcome.

Avid Media Composer 5.5 on a Windows 7 Ultimate-64system. 24GB DDR3 memory. GeForce 9500 GT Video Card. Driver: 4/3/2010 8.17.11.9745 Intel I7... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: ,
  • Mon, Dec 24 2012 3:36 PM In reply to

• Adman
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Atlanta Georgia, USA
    • Posts 5,432
    • Points 61,250
    • BlogAuthor
      Moderator: Avid Free DV
      Moderator: Avid Xpress DV PC
      Moderator: Avid Xpress Studio
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Removing Camera Vibration From Video

Mac Pro, 64GB Ram. 1TB SSD system drive, 250Gb SSD external (media) drive. QHD Ultra wide, thunderbolt LG monitor, MC 2019.12.1. Pro Tools 11 HD (Mbox... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:44 PM In reply to

• dmfreeman
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Michigan
    • Posts 1,861
    • Points 24,395

I have found Prodad's Mercalli stabilizer one of the best I have used.

Denny

Media Composer 2019.6, BCC Continuum 12.5, , Boris Red 5.6., Asus P9X79 Pro Motherboard with Intel 3930K Processor. 32 gigs DDR3 ram, Windows 10 Pro 1803... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Dec 24 2012 5:56 PM In reply to

Looking at the footage, I don't see how a stabilization program will help. Individual frame appear blurred. A stabilization isn't going to correct that, FWIU.

You might be able to remove the offending frames and use a program like After Effects to recreate them via interpolation. But I'm not sure, as I've never done that before.

Good luck.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Mon, Dec 24 2012 6:34 PM In reply to

• TVJohn
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Bayonne NJ
    • Posts 4,370
    • Points 53,980

Yes.

Progressive recording (60p) and a fairly high shutter speed vs arpeture would have benefitted the recording. If there is blur in each frame, tough to help that...maybe some cosmetic blur added might mask a bit.

Likely the genesis for all the high motion, short takes, and grunge fx we see these days....cover.

Dell Display U2713HM(2560x1440), AMD FX8350 8core, AMD 990FX mobo, 32gig-DDR3-1600, Quadro K620/GTX260/core 216, Audigy2zs, 1TB SSD system drive, 2TB SATA... [view my complete system specs]

Using MC 20.6. Avid FX6.4, Vegas Pro 17/ DVD Architect 6pro, DVDit6.4proHD, CCE Basic, TmpGe Express4, TmpGe Authoring Works 4, DVDLab-Studio. Sony EX-1R, Canon XH-A1, GL2, GL1, Canon EOS 60D

• Tue, Dec 25 2012 3:51 AM In reply to

Daniel,

I really wonder if there isn't something else going on here. The amount of blur on some frames is way more than one would think a G chord from an electric base could cause.

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Tue, Dec 25 2012 8:08 AM In reply to

• Wm.Busby
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • LA, Cali
    • Posts 377
    • Points 4,405

Not that this is any help but as far as I can tell there's also vibration nearly every bass drum beat (or are they called a "kick drum" these days?)... more noticeable about midway to the end.

HP Z400 (W3520) 2.67 ghz quad core, 12GB ram, Quadro K2000 (Nvidia driver 310.90), Win 7 Pro 64, MC 5.5.3, Quicktime version 7.6.9, KVM switch, dual 20"... [view my complete system specs]

Forum etiquette rule #1: FILL OUT SYSTEM SPECS IN PROFILE! :)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller