Latest post Fri, Dec 7 2012 2:10 AM by diegovillalba. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:52 PM

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,070

Isis 5000 question

Hello,

A production company near us jumped the gun on a project and was shutdown after purchasing A LOT of hardware. They have asked if I was interested in purchasing their Isis 5000. They purchased it from the same Avid reseller I use and they have confirmed for me it's the same system I am looking at for a future purchase. It's only 4 months old and under support.

My Avid rep and an engineer confirmed that what I spec'd out will work for us. It's a 32TB single chassis system. I'll have 14 users on 1 Gb ethernet using only DNxHD36. These are huge projects though. Multiple features.

For anyone with an Isis 5000 with a single chassis:  Do you have playback issues ever?  Do you think it's reasonable and realistic to have 14 users all using DNxHD at the same time with an Isis with one chassis?

We currently use Fiber on one Unity which works great but looking to the future I have some learning to do.

Thanks for any advice on this issue.

-cablet

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Dec 5 2012 11:10 PM In reply to

• Chris Hocking
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Mar 13 2008
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 179
    • Points 2,070

Re: Isis 5000 question

Hi Cablet,

We've just updgraded our two Avid LANSHARE EX3's to a single 16TB ISIS 5000 - and we LOVE it. It's easy to set up, the administration side of things is really nice, and for our editors - it works a dream. Much, much, much nicer than the old LANSHARE's!

We did a LOT of research prior to deciding on the ISIS - and even though there were cheaper options (i.e. Editshare) and more powerful options (i.e. Terrablock) - the ISIS tick all our boxes. As you can tell - we're very happy.

In our setup we have a Force10 S25N hooked up to the ISIS via 10GbE. We have 8 x single 1GbE, 1 x dual 1GbE and 1 x 10GbE clients. All our clients are running Media Composer 5.5. We're an offline facility so we cut everything at DNxHD36. We've had no problems so far. If possible - I highly recommend running two 1GbE connections to each client - as it is actually substantially faster.

In regards to performance, this document should answer most of your questions:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/User_Guide/Avid-ISIS-5000-v4-0-1-and-2000-v4-1-Performance-Guide?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2Fuser_guide%2FAvid-ISIS-5000-v4-0-Performance-Guide&popup=true

Hope this helps!

Best Regards, Chris!

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 11:52 AM In reply to

DNxHD 36 is only slightly more bandwidth intensive than DV25 - and each ISIS 5000 was built to serve ~400Mb/Sec.  which means it can serve about 100 streams of DV25, so you're looking at about 75 streams of DNxHD 36 - which would mean you'll get about 5 streams per client - though Avid only guarentees 2.

Make sure that the selling party is willing to include the license/support transfer fee in the price they quote you.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Thu, Dec 6 2012 6:23 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 395
    • Points 5,070

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to get info on the transfer fee for the system and support.

20 x Media Composer 8.6.5 Mac Pros 32MB RAM OSX 10.11.6 AJA and Nitris DX hardware Avid Nexis Enterprise [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Dec 7 2012 2:10 AM In reply to

Hi cable, 

The total throughput of a single ISIS 5000 engine is 300MB, 400MB is the throughput of a single ISIS 7000 engine with mirror protection. You could double that bandwidth, adding a second chassis to your Storage Group.

Each of your DNxHD 36 streams have a total bandwidth of 4,5 MB, so if you make the maths you should be able to play around 4 streams of this resolution, in each client, at the same time.

But the best thing you could do is take this questions to your Avid Reseller, they have a tool to calculate bandwidth and client count, and they will (and should) guarantee where are the limits of this system.

Best.

* Media Composer 2019.6 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * Media Central 2.10.5 * iNews 2017.2 * Interplay MAM 5.9

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller