Latest post Fri, Oct 19 2012 11:40 PM by qvideo1. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 18 2012 2:12 AM

• qvideo1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 18 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

workflow for DSLR and separate audio

I need a good workflow for this scenario: footage was shot with a Canon DSLR with preferred audio tracks coming from a video camera. A clapboard was used to establish sync between cameras. Everything is loaded into the Avid. 

So of course i can get the track in sync with the picture, but I haven't had occasion -before this- to work with the combined video/audio. What's the best way to keep it together when cutting into a sequence? And just to complicate matters, the transcript was made from the audio tracks, using the the audio's timecode ( the DSLR produced no timecode-everything starts at zero). 

I don't want to reinvent the wheel, so I hope someone has a tried-&-true method for handling this.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Filed under: , , ,
  • Thu, Oct 18 2012 6:55 AM In reply to

Re: workflow for DSLR and separate audio

Use the sticks to sync up, then perform AutoSync (in the Bin menu).

You can either sync up in a sequence, then subsequence each take, then perform AutoSync on these takes. Or you can place a Mark In on every closed clapper in each video and audio clip, then select a pair of them and hit AutoSync, and tell it to sync by Marks.

That will give you Sync clips. Audio TC will be preserved, just monitor the Source TC for A1, so you can monitor that in the various TC windows.

If you want to track it in the bin, you can copy the Start TC for all your audio clips onto an AuxTC or SoundTC column by clicking the Start TC column, then hit CMD-D (Mac) or CTRL-D (PC), and choose AuxTC1 or SoundTC as the destination column.

Now you can make this AuxTC or Sound TC visible in any bin your sync clips are in as well.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Oct 19 2012 11:40 PM In reply to

• qvideo1
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 18 2012
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Re: workflow for DSLR and separate audio

Thanks, Job. This has been very helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller