Latest post Tue, Oct 2 2012 10:20 AM by Keke Marc. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 1 2012 12:25 PM

• Keke Marc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 1 2012
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

No audio during playback.

Hi all. I'm sure I've missed something completely obvious, but I can't hear any audio at all when playing back either my timeline or clips in the source viewer. (System audio is fine, speakers are one etc etc.) The project is one I havent used for a while, is predominately dealing with AMA media (which I've relinked), as well as some MXFs (which are still there)

I tried creating a new project and importing the same source media as well as linking to it as AMA and this worked perfectly. So I know that its not a global issue with Avid, but rather something operator related. As I'm still new to Avid, Im not sure I've gone through every option, and was hoping someone could help.

Thanks.

Avid MC 6.0.1 OS X 10.7.4 2008 MacPro 8-Core 2.8GHz, 12GB Ram, GTX285 Video Card. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 1 2012 12:50 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

Re: No audio during playback.

do you "see" your audio using the audio tool (CTRL - 1 for PC systems)?

can you display the waveforms in your timeline? 

sample rate issue? (audio settings -> sample rate -> convert when playing)

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 1 2012 1:24 PM In reply to

• Keke Marc
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

I don't see anything during playback in the Audio Tool, while the waveform is present in the timeline. Again I switched to a new project and imported some audio, and got active meters in the Audio Tool during playback. 

Can't sem find that Audio setting you mentioned. Is it under Audio Proeject settings? If so, I can only see "Render Sample Rate Conversion Quality' which has either Balanced; High & Slow; and Low & Fast as options.

Avid MC 6.0.1 OS X 10.7.4 2008 MacPro 8-Core 2.8GHz, 12GB Ram, GTX285 Video Card. [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 1 2012 1:39 PM In reply to

Keke Marc:
    I tried creating a new project and importing the same source media as well as linking to it as AMA and this worked perfectly.

Since that indicates that the problem is contained within one specific project and not affecting others, quit the program, go into that specific project folder and delete the "(Project name)settings.avs" file, which has probably gotten corrupted and relaunch. The program will detect the missing file and construct a new one during relaunch. That should solve the problem.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Oct 1 2012 1:44 PM In reply to

• Moses.M
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jun 9 2008
    • Austria
    • Posts 651
    • Points 8,100

Sorry - it's "Audio Project" -> "Main Tab" -> "Convert Sample Rates When Playing" -> Always / Never

HP xw8400 - 6GB RAM | W7 64 bit | MC 5.5.2 | Adrenaline with DNxcel Sony Vaio SB1Z1 - 6GB Ram | W7 64 bit | Blackmagic Design Ultra Studio SDI [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 1 2012 2:09 PM In reply to

• Keke Marc
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Awesome. Thanks guys, i'll give these a go and let you know tomorrow. I have a good feeling. 

• Tue, Oct 2 2012 10:20 AM In reply to

• Keke Marc
    • Not Ranked
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Solved! For some reason I had managed to set the levels withing Settings>Audio Project>Output to -∞, which is as surprising as it is stupid because I had never opened that particular settings window prior to trying to solve the problem. Could there be a shortcut to mute the Hardware output like I did?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions... now when I'm faced with a lack of audio playback (but with a correct level in Audio Hardware output) I will know where to start troubleshooting.

Thanks again.

Keke

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller