Latest post Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:26 PM by Editmvp. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 17 2012 6:47 PM

removing a "buzz" from audio

I am just beginning to learn sound mixing in AVID and the Lynda tutorials really dont cover this. Yesterday I learned how to balance levels and pan, but I am SO lost on audio tweaking. 

I learned editing using FCP and Soundtrack Pro. 

Can I get some love?

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook Intel Core i7-3820QM @2.7ghz 8 gig RAM Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:08 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: removing a "buzz" from audio

You should be able to achieve this with 7 Band EQ RTAS plug-in. The DINR AudioSuite plug-in works very well and easy to use to remove noise.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:46 PM In reply to

I used the 7 band that comes with the software. Is this really the only frequency modifier in the software? I brought down virtually every level on the 7 band EQ and while it is better, it still has a slight hum.

I looked at the DINR plugin and it is $995. They cant be serious. I have already spent $5000 on Symphony. There must be an intelligent way to remove buzz, pop and hum. 

Havent found it yet. 

HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook Intel Core i7-3820QM @2.7ghz 8 gig RAM Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:52 PM In reply to

The AIR Kill EQ worked better. Still, this is very scary to think that solid, slider based eq tools are not in this very expensive software. If I'm off, someone PLEASE tell I'm wrong. 

• Mon, Sep 17 2012 7:59 PM In reply to

filmschlumpf:

...this is very scary to think that solid, slider based eq tools are not in this very expensive software. If I'm off, someone PLEASE tell I'm wrong.

If you launch the Audio EQ Tool, you will find sliders and a hum buster filter in the fast (hamburger) menu.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Sep 17 2012 8:42 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee

You can create a Notch Filter with the 7 Band EQ that can look like this.

7 Band EQ

There are a number of ProTools EQ Plug-in tutorials available. The effect is identical in SN.

• Tue, Sep 18 2012 12:31 AM In reply to

These are great suggestions, but Im afraid the buzz will be in this video regardless because I cannot remove it. 

I have scanned the entire range of frequencies and it seems to be present throuout. 

• Wed, Sep 19 2012 5:29 PM In reply to

I sure wish there was a tool like FCP provides. Am I missing it?

Here is a pic of what i need to find in AVID. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80483726@N07/8003654638/

• Wed, Sep 19 2012 6:30 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,265
    • Points 27,975
    • Avid Employee

Correct me if I'm wrong, that looks like an EQ with a lot of Bands. Built into SN I believe the 7 Band EQ is the closest. FabFilter Pro-Q is a 24 Band RTAS Eq plug-in available to purchase.

There are a number of really good Noise Reduction RTAS plug-ins from a few companies such as iZotope and Waves, but nothing free.

• Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:01 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Yes

BobRusso:

You can create a Notch Filter with the 7 Band EQ that can look like this.

7 Band EQ

There are a number of ProTools EQ Plug-in tutorials available. The effect is identical in SN.

Yes

+1

• Tue, Sep 25 2012 10:26 PM In reply to

BobRusso:

There are a number of really good Noise Reduction RTAS plug-ins from a few companies such as iZotope and Waves, but nothing free.

Noise reduction tools basically work by sampling a section of the clip that has the noise only--such as when a speaker pauses between sentences.   Then the NR applies a specific EQ to eliminate that frequency.     You can do it manually by playing around with a multiband or parament EQ and try to narrow in on the offending frequency, but you need a really good ear.   In my case, an NR tool has been a lifesaver for my tin ear.

MC 2018.12.3 with Symphony, Matrox MX02 Mini Max, Win 7 Pro, HP Z800 2x6-Core 3.2Ghz Xeon, 48GB ram, Quadro K4200, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD as system... [view my complete system specs]

I have a fantastic editing assistant.  He stays by my side when I edit...doesn't talk too much...and thinks I'm a genius!    Check him out here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQVkYaaPO6g

• Thu, Sep 27 2012 2:45 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,247
    • Points 15,780
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Putting aside for a moment what video editing software is being used - along with any EQs and plug-ins - any top notch audio professional using ProTools will stand firmly behind the notion that quite often, some clips just can't be fixed.  

I work with a number of such professionals, some of which are good enough to get $3,000 a day without complaint.  One of them told me once that every single week he gets some client who records somebody with an HDV camera whispering their lines under an air conditioning duct, and the client sees the audio guy's $100,000 mixing room and calls him a moron for not fixing it.

The tool in Final Cut has a different GUI than the 7-band EQ, but both of them do the same exact mathematical enhancements in the background as a 30-year old guitar EQ petal.  They enhance or dehance existing frequencies.  Sometimes it's not the EQ.  Sometimes the guitar sucks.

ACA Leader__Avid Pro Vid Moderator__Specs? Many. All qualified. But I still do stupid things. :) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: Follow @heybove

Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)
    WWND (What Would Norman Do?)

• Fri, Sep 28 2012 10:26 PM In reply to

• Editmvp
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 3 2008
    • Billings, Montana
    • Posts 152
    • Points 1,795

I would ownload a trial version of Adobe Audition.  It has a very good noise reduction filter where you can isolate the unwanted noise and remove it.  I have used it many times to fix what otherwise would have been totlly useless audio.  If it works, buy it when the trial period expires.  I know this may not be the answer you're looking for in regard to having it as part of your Avid system, but it works very well.

Primary System: Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony Option | Phrase Find | Avid Artist DNxIO | Mac Pro Mid 2012 12-Core 3.46 | OS10.13.6/64GB/1TB-SSD/Quadro... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller