Latest post Thu, Aug 30 2012 1:39 PM by Werner Kruse. 0 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Aug 30 2012 1:39 PM

USB 3 ExpressCard and Macbook Pro 17' 2011

Hello All

I am working on a low budget project and we are trying to work the best way of putting a edit drive together.

We already have 4x 3TB WD drives. We are looking at buying the DataTale 4bay RAID USB3 Enclosure. Possibly set it up to RAID 5.

The enclosure will be connected to a Macbook Pro 17' 2011 model.

My question is...

What will the performance be like if I use a USB 3 ExpressCard in my Macbook Pro and connect the RAID enclosure via USB3? Will it be fast enough for editing? Does USB3 still have the same burst technology like USB2 but only faster?

I was looking at the Lacie ExpressCard. Anyone have any experience with this card. There is mixed feeling about the Lacie and other cards. I know different ExpressCards offer different performance. Any suggestions?

The other option is to go for the eSata Enclosure model but that seems to be buying something that would not last much longer. Then again if eSata is the better choice then we will go for that.

I do not know of any Thunderbolt 4/5Bay RAID Enclosure available...???

Appreciate all your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

Macbook Pro 17' (2011) 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB 1333 MHz DDR 3 Avid MC 6 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
Page 1 of 1 (1 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller