Latest post Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:33 AM by Pat Horridge. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:19 PM

Linking MXF Files

I've done a LOT of searching in this, and other forums, but nothing has quite solved my problem.

At my uni, I captured 3 tapes through a Cannon camera on Avid Media Composer.   

I'm assuming I SHOULDN'T have then copied the created MXF files from that computer to my harddrive, because I cannot use these MXF files in anyway through my harddrive onto MY laptop.

TRIED
    Putting it in the right directory -> scans and says "They aren't MXF files" 
    Importing nope.
    Linking nope.

I know I will get replies of things I've already tried but I'll give them a go anyway.  Or a simple "You did it wrong, go back and capture for 3 hours again" will be fine :) 

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 29 2012 1:57 PM In reply to

Re: Linking MXF Files

ithinkimtim:
    I know I will get replies of things I've already tried

Might help us to know exactly (in detail) what you have already tried.  

Also, provide more info about your camera.  Canon (note one "n") makes many models of camera.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 2:23 PM In reply to

Canon XHA1.  Sorry I was just guessing that because Avid was simply capturing he tape it wouldn't matter what camera it was, but that's fine.  

As far as detail goes, my avid approach is a little brute force. eg opening existing projects and attempting to link the files into a new bin, pasting the files into existing mxf directories.  Any step by step approach would be better than my methods, the main issue is that Media Composer on my laptop doesn't seem to believe that they are MXF files.

I know I'm probably being too vague, I might be able to think clearer tomorrow morning.  I will try and get support elsewhere, just wanted to give this a shot instead of waiting till classes start next Monday.

Cheers for the swift reply anyway

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 2:44 PM In reply to

ithinkimtim:

Canon XHA1.  Sorry I was just guessing that because Avid was simply capturing he tape it wouldn't matter what camera it was, but that's fine.  

As far as detail goes, my avid approach is a little brute force. eg opening existing projects and attempting to link the files into a new bin, pasting the files into existing mxf directories.  Any step by step approach would be better than my methods, the main issue is that Media Composer on my laptop doesn't seem to believe that they are MXF files.

I know I'm probably being too vague, I might be able to think clearer tomorrow morning.  I will try and get support elsewhere, just wanted to give this a shot instead of waiting till classes start next Monday.

Cheers for the swift reply anyway

You imply that you used Avid to capture the files from the Tape. In which case you already have Avid MXF files. And Avid should have made a bin with the master clips related to those MXF files.

If that's not correct I'm not sure what you actually did?

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

Filed under:
  • Wed, Aug 29 2012 2:44 PM In reply to

Ok, so you have .mxf files that are inside Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 directory correct?  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Aug 29 2012 3:40 PM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

Ok, so you have .mxf files that are inside Avid MediaFiles/MXF/1 directory correct?  

And if you do you can see them by opening the media tool and selecting the project they whjere captured under (or all projects)? and if you drag those masterclips to a bin.....

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

• Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:06 AM In reply to

Kenton.VanNatten:

Yes and it seems I can't open those files in a different project to the one that created them.  So I went back to uni and copied the project as well.  All good now.

• Thu, Aug 30 2012 7:33 AM In reply to

Just to be clear you cannot copy MXF files into projects. MXF files are media files and they live in the Avid MediaFiles folders. You have masterclips in bins in your project. And those master clips point to the media files (using clever Avid magic so it knows where to find them)

As I mentioned in my last post you can use the media tool to see all the media files on your system that Avid can see (they have to be in the correct folder structure for Avid to see them) and from there you can drag masterclips out of the media tool to a bin in your project.

By copying the original project you have accessed the original master clips that pointed to the MXF media files.

But you could have don just that with the media tool. 

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller