Latest post Tue, Sep 4 2012 9:08 PM by Pat Horridge. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 20 2012 6:42 PM

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

What I/O Hardware do I need for DNxHD 175 Group clip?

I am a FCP editor switching to AVID for my next show.

It will be a 4 camera sitcom and we will be Editing with the DNxHD 175 X (HD1080p) Codec.

I will need to send a quad split group clip signal to my client monitor?

I am purchasing a new MacPro 12 core with Lion. I already purchased the Symphony software (MC6).

I am not worried at all about capturing media into the system, only concern is sending the Group Clip 4 stream signal of 175 out to the client monitor. It is a 22 minute sitcom so I will never be using timelines longer than 30 minutes in length.

Which of the following options would work OK / would work best / would not work at all

1) Intensity Pro PCI card (HDMI Out) - I currently have one installed in my FCP and it works great with Pro Res Proxy (36Mbs). I could move this to the new 12 core.

2) Matrox Mini

3) Adrenaline

4) Nitris

I am new to AVID so any help would be appreciated. Obviously some options are more economical than others.

Note: I am currently running (ONLY AS A TEST)  the MC6 software on my older Dual Core MacPro (32bit Kernel). System works fine @ DNx36 but can't handle DNx175. Don't know if this is only a limitation of the computer or the BlackMagic Card as well.

MacPro 12 core (2x2.4 GHz-6 Core) / 12GB Ram / ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB / BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI Card / Mac OS 10.8.5 / Symphony 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 20 2012 6:59 PM In reply to

• vpcmike
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Baltimore, MD
    • Posts 1,669
    • Points 20,140

Re: What I/O Hardware do I need for DNxHD 175 Group clip?

The Nitris DX box will work best since it was built from the ground up by Avid and for Avid.  The only downside is that I don't believe it will work with any other programs, like After Effects or Premiere or FCP (which the 3rd party hardware will do).

Your other concern should be storage - you will need some type of RAID system to keep up with your workflow.

System #1 - Mac Pro 12 Core 2.93, 24 GB RAM, 16 TB ISIS 5000 System #2 - Core i7 2600k, Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, Quadro 4000 System #3 - Dell Precision... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Aug 20 2012 7:32 PM In reply to

Do you have to be in full res for your edit?  If you transcode the footage down to an SD rez (ie, DV25 or even 10:1m) then your system will perform better.  When you got your cut, relink to the full rez and output.  

Working in Multicam mode at high rez is going to limit the performance and stability of your system.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 1:03 AM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

Thanks vpcmike,

Other than the Nitris working best. Do you know if the other options will work at all?

Regarding storage. I will not be storing the media locally on my system. There will be a server that I will be connected to.

MacPro 12 core (2x2.4 GHz-6 Core) / 12GB Ram / ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB / BlackMagic Intensity Pro PCI Card / Mac OS 10.8.5 / Symphony 7.0.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Aug 21 2012 1:09 AM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

I do not want to work at full rez, but the workflow is created by the Post Supervisor and producers to be quicker & more economical. We are shooting tapeless, the files form the camera (which are 175) are loaded directly onto the server for the assistant to work with. They are trying to save time by not transcoding to an offline codec. I don't know enough about AVID to know how realistic it is.

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 2:17 AM In reply to

Jeff:
    We are shooting tapeless, the files form the camera (which are 175) are loaded directly onto the server for the assistant to work with.

Which camera are they shooting with?  

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

I am not sure what camera they are using, but the files are going to a Cinedeck and an Isis server I believe.

Do you have any knowledge regarding the original question of what I/O hardware will or won't work for a 175 group clip?

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 6:02 PM In reply to

Jeff:
    Do you have any knowledge regarding the original question of what I/O hardware will or won't work for a 175 group clip?

I think you're going to have trouble playing back any kind of DNx175 media in a group clip - at least in Multicam Mode, regardless of what I/O you're using.  I've seen it be sluggish when connected to a NitrisDX box when there is lots of HD streams in MCam mode.  

You could try flipping your project format to SD and see if you get better results on playback.  The idea being that your I/O box is only having to spit out an SD signal and not a full HD one.   

• Tue, Aug 21 2012 7:16 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

Thanks Kenton. We are having a tech meeting tomorrow with the company providing the Cinedeck and ISIS where I will ask a lot of these questions. I am new to AVID so I want to have an open mind, but I am skeptical that 175 will not be sluggish in MulticamMode.

I am trying to find someone who has successfully done this before I invest in a Nitris box. I took your advice and switched the project to SD. I did this on my current system Dual Core / Intensity Pro. The current system plays back DNx36 fine. Switching to SD with a 36 clip made the image too pixelated. Switching to SD with a 175 clip still would not playback properly. This ofcourse is limited by the Dual Core and Intensity Pro. I am hoping soemone can tell me if it will work with a 12 core.

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 7:01 PM In reply to

• Jeff
    • Not Ranked
    • Toronto
    • Posts 15
    • Points 160

Just to update, The plan now is to transcode to 36 instead of trying to offline edit @ 175. I bought a new MacPro 12 core but am no longer buying a Nitris Box.

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 8:25 PM In reply to

you can do 175 dnxhd in a multicam setup. The i/o isnt whats important. Its the storage. The faster the storage the more streams youll be able to play back in realtime. 

• Tue, Sep 4 2012 9:08 PM In reply to

Just for clarity.

A multicam group playback is demanding on drawing the media from storage but the actual IO is still only one stream of content via the I/O It's either a quad split or a full frame but it's still just one channel.

So you can wrk at 175 but that could need 4 X 175 off the storage for a 4 way split. Not impossible but demanding.

Transcoding is the way to reduce that overhead. However make sure you have the whole post route worked out and tested before you embark on the Post work.

Will you be AMA mounting the souce files (sensible) and transcoding to offline res or doing it the old slow way of importing?

You need to be sure the whole process works and not evolve it step by step. Ideally this should have been considered and tested before footage was even shot........

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller