Latest post Fri, Jul 27 2012 9:24 PM by Chepal. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 27 2012 3:17 PM

Quicktime Exports Media Composer 6.0.1.1, where's Sorensen?

I'm wanting to export a QT Ref, Same as Source - I get a window "No Valid Resolution found to be exported using same as source..."  I've shot on Canon 7D and transcoded all that footage to 35mbit XDCam.  I also shot with the P2, and consolidated that footage to convert it into Avid MXF database.

Question 1: why wouldn't Avid let me export a QT Same as Source?  I tried it also with only P2 footage, and only with 35mbit XDCam footage.  No go either way.

Question 2: when I export it as a QT Reference, I cannot open it in QT Pro, I get the window "Additional software is required for QuickTime to playback this media..."  I've assumed that's a plug-in, but I cannot find the correct plug-in.  Would you know which one I need?

Question 3: I've noticed that Sorensen Squeeze is supposed to be bundled in Media Composer 6.0 - I don't seem to have the application > I do have a few settings in the Avid export window labeled Sorensen.  I've read that people are using Sorensen as a separate application - could I have made a mistake when instaling Avid?  I uninstalled 6.0.1, and then installed 6.0.1.1 a few weeks ago.  Didn't have Sorensen in 6.01 as well.

Thank you for your help!!!!

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 3:28 PM In reply to

Re: Quicktime Exports Media Composer 6.0.1.1, where's Sorensen?

CarbonNation:
    Question 1: why wouldn't Avid let me export a QT Same as Source?  I tried it also with only P2 footage, and only with 35mbit XDCam footage.  No go either way.

Those are both long-GOP media, which can't be used in a QT reference.  When transcoding, use a DNxHD codec instead.

CarbonNation:
    Question 2: when I export it as a QT Reference, I cannot open it in QT Pro, I get the window "Additional software is required for QuickTime to playback this media..."  I've assumed that's a plug-in, but I cannot find the correct plug-in.  Would you know which one I need?

Don't know, but I assume this is related to question 1.

CarbonNation:
    Question 3: I've noticed that Sorensen Squeeze is supposed to be bundled in Media Composer 6.0 - I don't seem to have the application > I do have a few settings in the Avid export window labeled Sorensen.  I've read that people are using Sorensen as a separate application - could I have made a mistake when instaling Avid?

Squeeze does not automatically install with MC.  After unpacking the download, there should be a folder called Production Suite.  The installer for Squeeze is in there.

Hope that helps.

Carl

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 3:44 PM In reply to

Thank you Carl.  

1) Would I want to/be able to transcode my final edited piece using a DNxHD codec to be able to export Same as Source and QT Refs?  I have been able to export H.264

a) What would be the best quality QT I should export for the clients/ and archives.  (12 min piece)

2) How can I get to that Production Suite now?  Would I need to reinstall?  I got the 6.0.1.1 patch and still have the .dmg file.

Thank you again - I hope you enjoy the Olympics (if you're still in London!)

Peter 

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 5:04 PM In reply to

Hi Peter,

CarbonNation:
    1) Would I want to/be able to transcode my final edited piece using a DNxHD codec to be able to export Same as Source and QT Refs?

If you're done with the edits and you just need to get a file made, then yes, I'd suggest transcoding the sequence to DNxHD.  After that you'll be able to export whatever you need.

CarbonNation:
    2) How can I get to that Production Suite now?

I don't have enough Mac experience to say, but you shouldn't need to reinstall Media Composer.  Hopefully one of the Mac people will come along soon with advice.

CarbonNation:
    Thank you again - I hope you enjoy the Olympics (if you're still in London!)

Thanks!  I'm going to catch a couple of basketball and soccer (football) games.  Should be a good time!

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2019.8 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 5:15 PM In reply to

Hi Carl, thanks for all the help today - and so friggin' quick as well!!!  Your Olympic tickets sound perfect.  Best, Peter

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 5:17 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,285

hi peter,

if you open your dmg_file, you will find under additional_files the folder_production suite.

avid_fx and sorenson_squeeze need software licenses, you got with your update to mc6.

updates are at the avid_download_center.

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 5:48 PM In reply to

You're welcome, Peter!

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 8:19 PM In reply to

Hi Che, I've found the Production Installers, but I can't seem to find the Avid FX or Sorensen serial #'s with any of my Media Composer installer folders, etc.  Would you know exactly where they should be?
    Many thanks from Kentucky!

Best,

Peter 

• Fri, Jul 27 2012 9:24 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • germany
    • Posts 537
    • Points 6,285

hi peter,

you must got it with your purchase of mc6.

look in your account or to your email from avid (together with the license/activation_key for mc6).

if you bought a box_version, there are printed there.

che

mac_mc_8, fibre, sata, scsi [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller