Latest post Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:48 PM by Randall L. Rike. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:40 PM

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 15 2011
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

Can you transfer your MC license to a used dongle?

On Ebay you can buy MC with dongles. Anyone know if you can you transfer your existing license to a used dongle? I want a dongle but cant justify the silly price that AVID want for a $10 usb stick....

MC8, Hack Mac 12 core SSD, 3x Nvidia Graphics cards Davinci Resolve Macbook Pro i7 quad core , Hitachi Raid drives for Video, ProTools 11, Pro Tools HD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:58 PM In reply to

Re: Can you transfer your MC license to a used dongle?

If you purchased a used version of MC that comes with a dongle from the original owner, there is a modest license transfer fee that would allow you to use that dongle and register it in your name. If you currently have a software license, you would keep it as is, and have two versions of Composer - your original one and the eBay purchased used one, with separate licenses - one software based and one dongle based

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:04 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

Hi Larry

So if I understand you right - the answer to my question is no - as I want to use the version of MC that I have already purchased. Im just trying to find an easier way to use my laptop and desktop without having to remember to deactivate or reactive each machine - Im used to dongles with Protools and other software. Why MC cant use an ilok like Protools I dont get.....

MC8, Hack Mac 12 core SSD, 3x Nvidia Graphics cards Davinci Resolve Macbook Pro i7 quad core , Hitachi Raid drives for Video, ProTools 11, Pro Tools HD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:11 PM In reply to

So then, if you purchase just an Avid dongle, I believe you would just pay a license transfer fee and have your existing software license discontinued when the dongle gets updated to MC 6. If you're in North America, I suggest you call 1-800-800-2843 during normal business hours US Eastern time and choose option #2 for license assistance. This is a free call and they can give you complete details on what to do. If you're outside North America, contact your nearest Avid office from this list.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:29 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

When I asked Avid they wanted 400 bucks....

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:32 PM In reply to

pt user:

When I asked Avid they wanted 400 bucks....

Was that for a new dongle purchase or license transfer? I was under the impression the transfer fee was considerably lower than that.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:37 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

That was the price for a dongle only - I assume the transfer was included

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:48 PM In reply to

"... When I asked Avid they wanted 400 bucks...."

License Transfer Fee = $100

Dongle as a stand-alone purchase = $299

Yup, it adds up.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller