Latest post Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:01 AM by Nnata. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 16 2012 11:19 PM

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Artist control - What I need to know before I buy

So I've just another look at the Avid Artist control. I'm now very interested in getting one for use in Mc and Symphony. Would be very greatful if someone could answer some of my questions-

1) Can I plug it into any pc or mac pro that has Avid and get to work?

2) I'd like to be able to carry these around to different post houses. Can I do so and plug and play to wherever I am set up without to much hassle? Unity, edit share make any difference? What if the pc is in another room to where my edit is like a lot of set ups are?

3) is it roughly the same weight as a laptop? Could I take it on the tube or bus if I had a case made up for it?

4) Ethernet connection hey? I won't need a separate card for my mac pro to use this will I?

• Thu, May 17 2012 1:27 PM In reply to

• Chuck Swan
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 31 2011
    • Chicago / Milwaukee
    • Posts 48
    • Points 665

Re: Artist control - What I need to know before I buy

I have an Artist Control on my MC6 system (MacPro).

Nnata:

Yes, subject to OS requirements.  Be be aware that since these surfaces are ethernet based, you normally won't connect them to the computer, but rather to the same network that the computer is on.  By default they auto-configure if the host network is running DHCP.

Nnata:
    2) I'd like to be able to carry these around to different post houses. Can I do so and plug and play to wherever I am set up without to much hassle? Unity, edit share make any difference? What if the pc is in another room to where my edit is like a lot of set ups are?

If there is an available ethernet port, yes.  However, you do have to install the Eucon software drivers on the workstation.  Can't comment on how Unity or Edit Share would interact.  Do they ususally run on a private network segment?  (anyone??).  Since the connection is to the network and not the workstation, it would not matter where the actual computer was located.

Nnata:
    3) is it roughly the same weight as a laptop? Could I take it on the tube or bus if I had a case made up for it?

Yes, with a suitable case it would be portable.

Nnata:
    4) Ethernet connection hey? I won't need a separate card for my mac pro to use this will I?

You connect these to an ethernet hub or switch (<$50us).  Probably already present on your network.

Works great with MC6

-Chuck

MC 8.4.4, MacOSX 10.10.5, MacPro 6core 16GB RAM, GTX Titan X GPU, Apple 23", Apple 27", Avid Artist Control, Avid Artist Transport, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 17 2012 8:47 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Chuck Swan:

I have an Artist Control on my MC6 system (MacPro).

Nnata:

Yes, subject to OS requirements.  Be be aware that since these surfaces are ethernet based, you normally won't connect them to the computer, but rather to the same network that the computer is on.  By default they auto-configure if the host network is running DHCP.

Nnata:

If there is an available ethernet port, yes.  However, you do have to install the Eucon software drivers on the workstation.  Can't comment on how Unity or Edit Share would interact.  Do they ususally run on a private network segment?  (anyone??).  Since the connection is to the network and not the workstation, it would not matter where the actual computer was located.

Nnata:

Yes, with a suitable case it would be portable.

Nnata:

You connect these to an ethernet hub or switch (<$50us).  Probably already present on your network.

Works great with MC6

-Chuck

Chucky Swan! Thanks for the reply man. I know that there are not to many people on here who could answer this one so thanks for your input. The whole ethernet thing kinda turns me off because I know it would be seen as a burden to set up when I come in for a job. A shame they don't offer a USB controller. Would be much simpler! Do you use yours on every job? Did yo utest it out before you purchased? Also, I here many a man say that this works better in FCP than it does MC. True? Are the options that limited on Avid? I love the idea of setting up all those macros. Do you use yours with the keyboard and mouse too?

• Thu, May 17 2012 9:41 PM In reply to

Nnata:
    A shame they don't offer a USB controller. Would be much simpler!

IMO ethernet is faster and more reliable.  On the road I would have in my case with the panel 3 ethernet cables, an inexpensive 3 port ethernet hub and a USB stick with EuCon installers for Mac and PC 64 bit and PC 32 bit.

• Thu, May 17 2012 10:11 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

AndrewAction:

Nnata:

IMO ethernet is faster and more reliable.  On the road I would have in my case with the panel 3 ethernet cables, an inexpensive 3 port ethernet hub and a USB stick with EuCon installers for Mac and PC 64 bit and PC 32 bit.

How do you think post houses would respond to this as a freelancer? I'm worried the tech guy is going to get all grumpy if I turn up with ethernet cables, an ethernet hub and a large piece of hardware that he doesn't understand. I'll then have to ask him to install the Eucon drivers or grant me access to do so. I then worry about any technical failure beeing blamed on the Eucon. Man, I hope this starts beocming more mainstream. Does it speed up your editing?

• Thu, May 17 2012 11:02 PM In reply to

Nnata:
    I'm worried the tech guy is going to get all grumpy if I turn up with ethernet cables, an ethernet hub and a large piece of hardware that he doesn't understand.

If they are worth their weight in salt they would be curious and excited. By using the 3 port hub you are not affecting the existing networking. With Mac or DHCP enabled Windows networking the unit plugs in seemlessly. You are always going to have to install some kind of driver. The only reason to get grumpy might be that they have to restart the CPU once (or maybe twice) 

Nnata:
    Does it speed up your editing?

Editing not yet as I have not yet got to grips with having jog shuttles etc for the timeline and up to speed with all the keys that I can map on it   With colour correcting  it is knocking 70 to 80% off my time. (And that is in week 2)

Here is a great little overview of how the panel is used in Symphony by Doug, one of the Avid Product designers.

• Fri, May 18 2012 4:09 AM In reply to

• Chuck Swan
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago / Milwaukee
    • Posts 48
    • Points 665

Nnata:
    Chucky Swan! Thanks for the reply man. I know that there are not to many people on here who could answer this one so thanks for your input. The whole ethernet thing kinda turns me off because I know it would be seen as a burden to set up when I come in for a job. A shame they don't offer a USB controller. Would be much simpler! Do you use yours on every job? Did yo utest it out before you purchased? Also, I here many a man say that this works better in FCP than it does MC. True? Are the options that limited on Avid? I love the idea of setting up all those macros. Do you use yours with the keyboard and mouse too?

Andrew is right on with the ethernet info.  I would just carry a little hub around.  The eucon on the flash drive is clean!  

I actually bought mine while I was still on FCP, right around the time Avid aquired Euphonix (the original manufacturer). In fact, mine still has the Euphonix logo.  The Eucon software comes with configurations for several applications and you can make your own as well.  It automatically switches layouts depending what app is active.  The FCP layout is a bit more deeply integrated (slightly), probably because these were originally marketed at Final Cut Studio, especially the Artist Color desingned for Apple Color.  From what I have seen of the Color panel though, it looks like Avid has gone one better with integration on that product.  For me, the must-have feature was the motorized faders for mixing, and the jog/shuttle wheel.  I go back to the days of editing on tape & film, for me that design just comes easier.

MC 8.4.4, MacOSX 10.10.5, MacPro 6core 16GB RAM, GTX Titan X GPU, Apple 23", Apple 27", Avid Artist Control, Avid Artist Transport, Blackmagic... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 18 2012 4:15 AM In reply to

• Chuck Swan
    • Not Ranked
    • Chicago / Milwaukee
    • Posts 48
    • Points 665

AndrewAction:

Editing not yet as I have not yet got to grips with having jog shuttles etc for the timeline and up to speed with all the keys that I can map on it   With colour correcting  it is knocking 70 to 80% off my time. (And that is in week 2)

Here is a great little overview of how the panel is used in Symphony by Doug, one of the Avid Product designers.

Just to clarify, Nnata, in your original post, you specified the Artist "Control", (the one with 4 faders, jog wheel & color touch screen).  Is that right?  There are 4 different panels in the Artist series, "Control", "Mix", "Transport" and "Color".  I have the Control and Transport, no Color (yet)Wink

• Fri, May 18 2012 5:17 AM In reply to

I love that they are ethernet. For one, the can be on endlessly long cables between machine rooms and suites. Really easy to set up.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 18 2012 9:04 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Chuck Swan:

AndrewAction:

Just to clarify, Nnata, in your original post, you specified the Artist "Control", (the one with 4 faders, jog wheel & color touch screen).  Is that right?  There are 4 different panels in the Artist series, "Control", "Mix", "Transport" and "Color".  I have the Control and Transport, no Color (yet)Wink

Only really interested in the Control with the potential addition of the transport. Some great info here guys. Any ideas where I could see a demo of one in London?

• Tue, Oct 9 2012 10:41 AM In reply to

• ChrisH
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Sep 4 2008
    • London
    • Posts 113
    • Points 1,410

Hi Guys

I'm torn between Artist control and transport, very different I know, but a big cost difference too.

Which is better for performing actual edits do you think? It looks as though the transport might be, but would love to know your opinions.

I would love to have the motorised faders that you get with the Artist control, so if the artist control is a great functional editor too, then may have to plump for that.

Or even a combnation of transport and mix?

Thanks!

Work: Freelance, so usually a recent-ish Media Composer and ISIS/Unity Home: MC8.x, OS 10.10.5, 15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7, Flash HDD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:40 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

AndrewAction:

Nnata:

AndrewAction - why 3 Ethernet cables and why a 3 port hub?

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 4:42 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Job ter Burg:

I love that they are ethernet. For one, the can be on endlessly long cables between machine rooms and suites. Really easy to set up.

Job have you successfully had this workng over an ISUS set up?

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:10 AM In reply to

Plug the existing Ethernet cable in the host CPU into the Hub (port 1). Connect the Hub (port 2) to the existing CPU (first ethernet cable) . Connect the Hub (Port 3) to the Artist unit (second ethernet cable). have a spare (BU) ethernet cable.

FWIW with the Artist colour here I setup and use the second ethernet port on the Mac's and HP's having them on a independant IP range from the rest of my network. This works better for me.  Not sure how many facilities would be broadminded enough to allow you do that though. Huh?

• Thu, Jun 6 2013 6:36 AM In reply to

I would never hook such a device onto the ISIS chain. My systems have a dedicated ethernet card that connects to the ISIS. The on-board ethernet ports are connected to a local network, and the Artist units are connected to that network.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller