Latest post Thu, May 10 2012 9:05 PM by tacbob. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, May 10 2012 7:32 PM

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 12 2011
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

Exporting QT and playing in Windows

I have been exporting QT movies on the Mac but none of them play on Windows computers. The QuickTime player message that appears on Windows PC's says a codec is needed.

What do I need to do with my Avid Media Composer 5.5 on the Mac to prevent this?

I have exported using Avid Codecs... all sorts of settings but they do not play on Windows.

Thanks

• Thu, May 10 2012 7:37 PM In reply to

Re: Exporting QT and playing in Windows

What were your export settings? If you're on a Mac, there are some QT codecs that don't have a playback decoder for Win. If you export Same-As-Source (with that box ticked), you should end up with a QT file in Avid codec, and any computer that has the (freely available) Avid QT codec installed, should be able to play it back.

If you're looking for something smaller, you would be better off encoding to x264 in Squeeze.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 10 2012 7:54 PM In reply to

Stupid question...did you install the Avid codecs on your Windows system?

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Thu, May 10 2012 8:33 PM In reply to

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

I thought they were... maybe not.

The idea was to convert the QT file to an MP4on the Windows machine.

Can I do that straight from Avid on the Mac? I don't see an option for it.

Do I go through Sorensen?

Thanks

• Thu, May 10 2012 8:41 PM In reply to

You can do an MP4 straight from MC, but I would not recommend it, as you then use the Quicktime encoder that Avid uses. When you use Squeeze, you will have more control (and likely less gamma issues) when exporting to something like MP4. So export a QT Reference file or as Same-As-Source (self-containing) file, then use Squeeze to encode that to MP4.

Media Composer /w Symphony option | PT-HD | Win7Pro64 HP | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 | Nitris DX | Artist Mix & Transport & Color | AJA T-Tap | Decklink... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, May 10 2012 9:05 PM In reply to

• tacbob
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 73
    • Points 1,060

OK. I will try this tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller