Latest post Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:12 AM by Job ter Burg. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 12:36 PM

• Mirja
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 17 2007
    • Berlin
    • Posts 37
    • Points 415

monitoring of a 24 fps hd project

Hi there!

I guess this topic must have been discussed several times already, but I could only find old threats to this, so I bring up the subject again:

I am working on a 24 fps Project (DNxHD 36, 1080p/24) on a Media Composer 5.5 and we are trying to find a monitoring solution at a modest price for editing.

What I found out so far is that the Matrox MXO2 Mini is one solution to output the signal from Avid, the next step would be to find a monitor that can display my 24fps-signal.

I found out about two monitors, one by Sony (LMD 2110W), one by Ikegami (ULE-215), that should be able to do the job. Both are around 1000EUR.

Now I would be interested, if this is really the price I have to calculate or if there are possibly cheaper solutions for the monitor.

Maybe it might also be possible to get a 25fps-signal from the Matrox and use a "normal" HD-TV via HDMI?

Or as an alternative: In the editing computer (Apple Mac Pro, quadcore, haven't got the exact specifications right now) there is a blackmagic card installed.

If we buy an upgrade to MC6, we could use that card for monitoring output, is that right?

But we would still be confronted with the problem of finding a monitor that can display 24fps.

Thanks in advance for any comments or for pointing me to current threats on that subject!

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 4:01 PM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

Re: monitoring of a 24 fps hd project

You could also consider the Dell U2410 which is a very nice IPS monitor and costs only around 450 euros. It's one of the few in that price range that accepts 24p over HDMI. The Matrox MXO2 works really well with 5.5, less so with 6.0 but they 're working on it I suppose. The BM card in the MacPro will only work  with 6.0 as 5.5 only accepts the Aja IO express or the Matrox MXO 2 mini as a third party monitoring solution.

You can also hook up a TV but a monitor is probably more usefull. My setup: U2711 editing monitor, U2410 viewing monitor connected through HDMI with a MXO2 mini. I also have a Samsung 32" LCD connected through a HDMI splitter. Audio goes through a mixer (connect both the mac and the mxo) because the MXO2 output is slightly delayed compared to the Mac.Finally, the U2410 also is connected to my Mac with a DVI cable. If I'm not using Avid, I switch the input to DVI and have a 2 monitor desktop. When using Avid with the MXO2, you do need a utility like SwitchresX to disable the second monitor at the Finder level, otherwise Avid might open some bins on the second monitor. Since that one shows the MXO2 image, you won't be able to access those windows unless you switch back to DVI input. That's why you need to disable the screen in OSX.

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:05 PM In reply to

• Mirja
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 37
    • Points 415

Euchrow:
    If I'm not using Avid, I switch the input to DVI and have a 2 monitor desktop

That's interesting - so you don't use the 2 monitor desktop while editing? And a third monitor for preview?

We have a video card with two DVI outputs, so with the Matrox I hope to be able to have three monitors.

Thank's for pointing me to the Dell!

• Wed, Apr 18 2012 10:52 PM In reply to

• Euchrow
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sat, Apr 15 2006
    • Brussels, Belgium
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,530

When editing I use the 27" as my main edit monitor. The 24" is the viewing monitor while the 32"LCD is the client monitor (can't see that one as it's angled away from me). The 27" resolution is 2,560 x 1,440 which is enough, since I'm not too fond of three monitor setups with 1920x1080 monitors. But I might add my iPad as a third monitor by using Air Display. Could be perfect for the Audio Mix window.

Symphony 2019.6 on Mac Pro Westmere 3.33Ghz 6 core, 48Gb Ram, Nvidia GTX 980, High Sierra 10.13.6, BMD Ultra Monitor 2019.6 on MacBook Pro Retina 2018... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:07 AM In reply to

• Mirja
    • Not Ranked
    • Berlin
    • Posts 37
    • Points 415

All right, sounds like a great setup!

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:12 AM In reply to

For that price, consider getting a Panasonic Pro Plasma. 42" would set you back around 1000 EUR. Image is great. Does 24P.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller