Latest post Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:08 PM by Johnny Diesel. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Mar 7 2012 12:45 AM

Ability to scroll timeline side to side and not just up and down

I would love to be able to use the scroll wheel on my apple mighty mouse to scroll through my timeline. Right now it just expands or contacts the timeline. This should also work with touch sensitive mice and track pads. It's a very quick way to move to a new section of the timeline in FCP without have to zoom in or out first and I feel slower on Avid without it.

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Mar 7 2012 2:48 AM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 500
    • Points 5,535

Re: Ability to scroll timeline side to side and not just up and down

I am able to scroll the timeline left/right with my trackpad. Are you sure that you've got horizontal scrolling enabled in system preferences?

You can do the same thing with a normal mouse that doesn't permit left/right scrolling by holding down control+shift while using the up/down scroll wheel.

Steve

• Thu, Apr 19 2012 8:57 PM In reply to

• jdcprd
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Santa Monica, CA
    • Posts 20
    • Points 250

At work on version 4 the track ball on the Apple mouse scrolls the timeline. In version 5.5 at home I noticed the track ball zooms in and out of the timeline. Holding down shift-cont scrolls the playhead as doescont-opt at different speeds. I'm looking for the ver 4 fucntionality of scrolling the timeline not the playhead.

Why would they change such a vital command?

Media Composer 2018.12.3 on a Mac Pro 4,1, 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-core Xeon, 32GB 1066 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForge GTX 680 2048MB [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jun 18 2012 12:56 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

They removed this functionaility? Man o man! (shakes head)

• Mon, Jun 18 2012 4:35 PM In reply to

• stevecohen
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 3 2006
    • Venice, California
    • Posts 500
    • Points 5,535

MC5.5 -- control+scroll wheel = scroll timeline and position indicator (playhead) left/right

MC6 -- shift+scroll wheel = scroll timeline view left/right (without the position indicator). No ability to scroll the playhead with the scroll wheel, unfortunately. But you can more the playhead a 'screenful' at a time with the Page Up and Page Down buttons.

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 9:57 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

stevecohen:

MC6 -- shift+scroll wheel = scroll timeline view left/right (without the position indicator). 

Hi Steve, when I saw this just now, I jumped out of my chair and ran to my office and jumped on MC6. Unfortunately it appears that this function does not scroll left/right with this command or any other combination that I tried. All it does is scroll more detail/less detail...which is kinda good but certainly not the holy grail I am but looking for.

• Wed, Jul 4 2012 10:00 PM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,665

Although this screen grab suggests that this should be possible... as you suggest. Wonder what I need to do?

• Fri, Nov 16 2012 8:08 PM In reply to

• Johnny Diesel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 29 2007
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 61
    • Points 650

I just upgraded to 6.0.3.2. Am I crazy or is the scroll Left/Right on the timeline by using Shift and Mouse Wheel gone? I thought this was working. Sure would like this feature!

And yes I am aware that Shift+Ctrl will scroll the playhead. But I would like to scroll the timeline quickly.

Can someone confirm this was working on an earlier version of v6?

Homebuilt: Win 10 on Asus X99-E WS/USB 3.1, Xeon E5-1650 v3 at 3.5 GHZ 6-core, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Nvidia Quadro M4000, Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K. Canopus... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller