Latest post Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:36 AM by Mack Truck. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:01 AM

Smart Tool in Overwrite mode

I the timeline I want to remove some part of a clip. I add 2 edits to cut the part out, and select the Smart Tool (all tools selected).

I select the part of the clip I want to get rid of making sure the arrow is red (overwrite mode). However when I delete that, MC performs a Splice-In.

This does not happen when I only select the Overwrite Tool. Is that a bug ?

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:20 AM In reply to

Re: Smart Tool in Overwrite mode

This is one of a few very annoying behaviors of the ST. They've been pointed out to Avid in the past, but nothing has come of the complaints/suggestions. I think it's b/c the more advanced users just gave up on the ST and the new users aren't familiar w/o how it should work in the Avid paradigm.

BTW, the behavior you're talking about is controlled by settings in the Timeline Setting's Edit tab. These control the behavior, as color of the ST arrow is completely ignored.

IMHO, the ST has a lot of potential. But it was ported over from Pro Tools. But there are differences between how Pro Tools and Media Composer work. A prime example is patching. In MC you use Source and Record side track selectors to patch source material to sequence. In PT you use buses. Low and behold, the ST ignores Record-side track activeness. They say it's by design. Well, it's by design in *Pro Tools* but it shouldn't be in MC.

Here are links to two discussions on this very topic and related ST issues:

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/98807.aspx?PageIndex=1

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/99229/570945.aspx#570945

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

• Wed, Feb 22 2012 10:36 AM In reply to

Re: Smart Tool in Overwrite mode

BobbyMurcerFan:

BTW, the behavior you're talking about is controlled by settings in the Timeline Setting's Edit tab. These control the behavior, as color of the ST arrow is completely ignored.

Thanks!! I set the defaut ST to overwrite.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller