Latest post Sat, Feb 11 2012 7:38 PM by Acutabove. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:00 PM

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 15 2011
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

Cant play Quicktime ref files in quicktime player?

I posted this earlier as I thought it may have been a 6.0.1 issue so I reverted to 6.0 and the issue is still there. If I open a quicktime ref created using "send to" in MC, in quicktime player Im just getting a blank file. The file is there and correct as I put it in Bitvice for encoding and it managed that. The file will play in the get info box. Not in the Player. Output created before yesterday plays back fine. Yesterdays output was before I tried 6.0.1. Im stumped - its as if the codecs have dissapeared, but they are installed with Media composer arent they? Any ideas?????

MC8, Hack Mac 12 core SSD, 3x Nvidia Graphics cards Davinci Resolve Macbook Pro i7 quad core , Hitachi Raid drives for Video, ProTools 11, Pro Tools HD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:05 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Cant play Quicktime ref files in quicktime player?

When you installed 6.0.1, did you go into the "Other Installers" folder and install the Avid Codecs?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:26 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

Im back on 6.0 now, but I didn't. when you uninstall MC it uninstalls the codecsLE package, so I assumed it must install it. I will go back and try that and report back

MC8, Hack Mac 12 core SSD, 3x Nvidia Graphics cards Davinci Resolve Macbook Pro i7 quad core , Hitachi Raid drives for Video, ProTools 11, Pro Tools HD... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:35 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

I ran the LE and PE installers. No difference. The file is there just plays blank in the quicktime player. It converted in Bitvice fine. I dont get this at all....

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:41 PM In reply to

Ocassionally I've noticed a QT reference movie not playing back, but since my goal is always something else (DVD, web, whatever), I've never gotten too worried about it unless the QT reference wouldn't work in whatever program I was intending to use it in.

What is your goal for the QT reference file?  Do a short test and see if it gets all the way through your workflow.  If it does, it doesn't matter if it plays at the QT reference stage.

Media Composer 2019.7 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Envy 17t-j100 Quad Edition laptop, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i7 2.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 6:54 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

I get what you are saying, but the point is it worked before. I dont understand why it doesnt now. I like to check my output at each stage. Is there an alterbative to quicktime player as a means of checking these files outside of MC?

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:02 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Yep. I just tested this and it's not working here either. I can open the QT ref in any other app and it plays fine, just not in QT. Time for an escalation

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:06 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Correct, and this is with QT x , QT Pro ( 7.6.6 ) plays QT refs well

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:10 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

I think I have an older version of quicktime as well as the current one - I will try that too. Its important to be able to check output at every stage

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:12 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

I have QT pro as my default quicktime player, I never use QT X, that´s why I don´t see this

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:14 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

Ok, it's actually in the read me...

Bug Number: UDevC00159820. QuickTime Reference movies are not supported by

QuickTime Player X. They are still supported in QuickTime Player 7 on the Macintosh. They are

also not supported in QuickTime version 7.6.9 on Windows.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 7:50 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

why would they let that go?.....

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 8:03 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,731
    • Points 226,380
    • Avid Employee

What I am being told is that it's a limitation in QTX e are trying to work around.

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 8:13 PM In reply to

• pt user
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 317
    • Points 4,250

Ive just installed an old version of quicktime 7.6.6 and it works with that app. Its quite shocking that we have to go back so far into the past in order to view our output.......hardly cutting edge..

• Thu, Feb 9 2012 5:39 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 159,335

Sorry if I don´t can see Apples QT x as cutting edge either, no export options and colour level bugs when using it for the only thing it is supposed to support, to play quicktime files.

QT Pro is what you want to use on the Mac side, you can set is as the default player for all your Quicktime files.

Seems like Apple still is supporting it in the background when doing Mac updates, I have no other explanation to that it says both 7,6,6 and , on the second row, 7,7,1 , in my " about  window on my Mac.

Tomas 

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller