Latest post Sat, Feb 4 2012 2:56 PM by AdamGiles. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 7:31 PM

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

Avid and Alexi Log-C

Does Avid DS support Log-C colour space? And can it export DPX in Log-C, Or Tiff sequeences in 10bit Log-C?

HP 8710W 4 Gig Ram. M.C. 6.0.5. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 2 2012 9:20 PM In reply to

• slabross
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    • Posts 938
    • Points 9,690
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid DS

Re: Avid and Alexi Log-C

Log-C is not supported by default but you can build a preset using the LUT tools.  Refer to the Help and online instructions for details.

Sylvain Labrosse
    Principal Expert | Services and Customer Success

Avid
    3510 St-Laurent Boulevard
    Montréal, QC H2X 2V2
    Canada
    sylvain.labrosse@avid.com

Create cases online now at  csportal.avid.com 
    It's fast, easy and effective!

We're Avid.  Learn more at www.avid.com  

• Thu, Feb 2 2012 9:30 PM In reply to

DS is completelly color space flexible in 4:4:4 mode. The "support" of any certain color space comes down to the LUT. Some are provided by Avid, but Log-C is not.

You can make your own Log-C to linear LUT or import it from another system. You can export with Log-C as well, but then you also need the inverse Lin->Log-C LUT for export.

There is no such thing as 10 bit TIFF as far as I know, but there is 16 bit TIFF. You can save to 16 bit TIFF from DS, although DPX would be a more economical choice. DPX is also somewhat easier to work with on DS, the export settings are better than those for TIFF files.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 5:27 PM In reply to

• mrmikster
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeleez
    • Posts 572
    • Points 6,450
    • Moderator: Avid DS
      Moderator: MetaFuze

You could also experiment with Arri's lut builder www.arri.de/camera/digital_cameras/tools/lut_generator.html, you may have good results with this. Also, I believe Igor is correct, .tif files can be 8, 16 or 32 bits, I've never heard of a 10 bit .tif

"There are no rules for the brave". Albert Einstein

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:18 PM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

Thanks guys, that kind of helps.

Here's more on the issue.

A drama is being shot on Arri Alexia (Log-C). Offline is happening on Avid MC. CGI guys want (before online is done) various scenes in uncompressed DPX or TIFF(10bit is what they asked for) sequence with Log-C colour Space.

So is a DS going to be any better for this than a MC or Symphony?

• Fri, Feb 3 2012 9:07 PM In reply to

MC and Symphony don't export DPX and I doubt they will export 16 bit TIFF. You'd need a DS or another third party thing to prep the files to their specs. I would offer them to use the original camera QT files instead. Of course those files will have much more handles than what VFX plates would normally have.

If they insist on DPX/TIFF you can do it easily in DS. Very clean, fast in-out. Have your VFX editor cut all the plates on one timeline, export that as AFE.

Conform in DS 4:4:4, link to QT files as linear and export DPX as linear. That will ensure material remains unchanghed in Log-C.

Igor Ridanovic

www.HDhead.com

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:29 AM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

Thanks Igor, that's exactly what I needed to hear.

Now I need to get my hands on a DS and a crash course on conforming and outputing!!

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:45 AM In reply to

MC/Symph does allow 16-bit TIFF exports.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:48 AM In reply to

You can import and export 16 bit Tiffs in MC..

They will retain the 10 bits of log-C.

The colorspace wil be unchanged if you keep away from the pesky (confusingly named) RGB tabs.

Just saying.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:58 AM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

But the source footage wont be Tiff sequences.

If I link to the original footage via AMA (MC or Sym) and then export a TIFF sequence will that maintain the Log-C colourspace?

Oh, and currently running MC/Sym 4.0.5, would I need to upgrade (dongles currently blessed to v5) *Of course to AMA to QT files will require upgrade...*

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 2:41 PM In reply to

Yes.

There is nothing special about these new fangled colorspace things, they are just better ways of cramming the 14 bits of a digital camera into 10 bits with latitude for grading. MC export (709) will chuck out the same as it gets in so not change the colorspace. What MC lacks, and DS has, are LUTs to view the material as intended.

Symphony 7.06 OS 10.9.5 QT 7.6.3 Mac Pro 2x2.66 6-core 32GB Ram Aja Kona Lhi. MC 7.0.6 OS 10.9.5 Mac Pro 5.1 2x2.97 6-core 32GB ram Aja I/O express, Apple... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 2:56 PM In reply to

• AdamGiles
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • N.E. UK
    • Posts 461
    • Points 5,760

Thanks for that. This is purely to find a way to get the cut sequences to the VFX guys at as high a quality as possible.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller