Latest post Tue, Dec 5 2017 5:24 PM by CinéMatica. 96 replies.
Page 5 of 7 (97 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, May 23 2012 2:37 PM In reply to

• promo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Mar 16 2011
    • Posts 3
    • Points 15

Re: Artist Color Control Surface

I hope I get an answer since the last post was a long time ago, we bought and artist MC Color and Audio controllers and it has beeen impossible to program the soft keys, is there any preset setup file that we can use to use as a starter. we are using an Symphony Nitris V5.5.1 PC on ISIS 7000, did the firmware upgrade but no luck at all, and the manual beeing an Avid product focuses more on Apple color in stead of an Avid product.

Please help

• Wed, May 23 2012 2:52 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,344
    • Points 159,265

promo:

we are using an Symphony Nitris V5.5.1 PC

The Artist Color is only certified to use with MC 6

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, May 30 2012 12:56 AM In reply to

• Dhansel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 21
    • Points 470
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

...and the manual you should refer to is the Symphony Nitris v6 manual.

• Thu, Jun 7 2012 7:57 PM In reply to

Making the AVID MC Color Artist interface really work.

I am a Symphony colorists exclusively, with 10 years experience. I'm really disappointed that the wheels and sliders are locked to master HSL on the MC Color Artist. Part of the symphony's success in high end color correction situations has been it's ability to deliver crushed blacks and whites without loosing detail, etc. That's only possible by using very specific controls in the Highlights, Midtones, and Shadows tabs. Can I pay to have somebody write a patch that would allow me to toggle between the HSL tabs and use the wheels and sliders on each tab? The configuration would be the same as the Master HSL tab, setup on the left slider, gain on the right, etc.

AVID is in steep competition with scratch and resolve, so making this work for real colorists, people who routinely use most of the basic functions of the symphony, can only help AVID in the end. I can also offer my services as a beta tester. If anyone told you they only use the Master HSL tab, then I don't think they are really using the box. Thanks for you time.

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 5:12 PM In reply to

• Dhansel
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 21
    • Points 470
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Thanks for your post.  I agree that we need to connect the other HSL tabs to the surface and we've actually been discussing that today with engineering here at Avid.  My proposal is that we map SHIFT-F2 to quickly toggle through the Master, highs, mids, and shadows since F2 already toggles through the main HSL tabs.  Does that work for you?  Obviously you can map it to another key if you wish based on personal preference. 

I just wanted you to know it's on the to do list.

Thanks for your patience.

Doug

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:15 PM In reply to

Thanks for you resonse.  

I think the F2 toggle solution would work, but is there a way to avoid toggling through other menus when going back and forth in HSL?  Shift F2 also toggels between vector scope, tactile setup, etc.  Maybe double tapping the shift button, allows F2 to toggle just between the main HSL tabs?  Also is there a way to toggle backward as well as forward?  So you don't have to toggle all the way through the menu again if you want to go back to the previous menu item?  As you know every color adjustment is interactive.  So if I adjust something in shadows, I may have to move to midtone, and then back to shadows.  But it would be nice if it were like the Tab button on a keyboard.  Shift-tab simply jumps you backward one step at a time, Tab takes you forward one step at a time through parameters.  It would be nice to move through the HSL menu that way.

Also, just to be sure.  The config for HSL highs, mids, and shadows, would be identical to the current config or Master HSL?:

Left track wheel is the Setup for Master, Highs, Mids, Shadows,

Middle track wheel is Gamma for Master, Highs, Mids, Shadows,

Right is Gain for Master, Highs, Mids, Shadows,

and the knobs break out the same for Hue, Saturation, etc.

Just a thought.  I evnisioned the nine programmable soft keys would represent high, mids, and lows, for each trackwheel and ball.  I wasn't sure how Master would work, since that in essense would be a 4th trackwheel and ball.  I like the bank solution to switch between master and highlight for the right most track wheel.  Don't know how this thouh could help.  Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks again for looking into this.

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 8:39 PM In reply to

• Dhansel
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 21
    • Points 470
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Shift-F2 currently isn't mapped to anything, so I think out of the box, this is the easiest way to add this functionality.

As to forwards and backwards, I'd love to be able to do this, but that would entail losing more of the precious function keys.  They other way would be to have them on a soft knob, but for now, i'm trying to keep it simple so we can get someone to code it up quickly. 

To answer your question on the config, yes, the HSL highs/mids/shadows would all be indentical to the current master config with regards to the left, middle, right wheels and knobs.

We'll keep looking at this, but for now, I want to try and give you the functionality as quickly and effectively as possible.

Thanks

• Mon, Jun 11 2012 9:32 PM In reply to

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

Dear Doug

I appreciate the fact that you now say this is urgent, but I posted about this in this thread on 1st of January - 6 months ago. 

Why is it taking so long?

I have two panels sitting in there boxes, waiting for these updates to make them useable. 

It is also necessary to improve the lag and clunkiness - any idea when that will happen?

Please hurry. 

14xMC 5.03 on HP xw8200/8400/8600 2xSymphony Nitris DX 5.03 and 6.0 HP Z800/6 or 12 Gb ram/nvidia Quadro 4800 [view my complete system specs]

Abie Edit Studios Telaviv

• Tue, Jun 12 2012 2:23 PM In reply to

• Dhansel
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 21
    • Points 470
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

We're doing our best, but there are many things being worked on here. 

We also plan to improve the response of the surface.  Obviously this is bigger work, so look for the additional HSL controls to be mapped first.

It should be noted that we knowingly shipped without the advanced HSL tabs as many customers and the entire beta test group agreed these tabs were rarely used.  This effectively deprioritized that part of the feature, and it subsequently didn't make the cut.  However, the plan was always to add support for the advanced HSL ranges asap after the first release.

Again, thanks for your patience.

Doug

• Tue, Jul 3 2012 7:49 AM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,440

Well I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread about where the advanced HSL ranges should be mapped but in looking at it again I think a better place to put the toggle to advanced HSL ranges would be the page buttons.  As it is in HSL now the page buttons take you to the clip low and clip high on the 2nd page.  Logic could dictate that another press of the page > button takes me to advanced High HSL another page > to mid HSL and another page > to low HSL.  Page < would toggle back through the ranges.  Since the master HSL is the only one with clip low, clip high there is no 2nd page of controls for each of the advanced HSL ranges.  This seems to follow more the logic of the current mapping.  I can see where shift F2 could work but I think using the pages better follows the already existing methodology.  Also as I mentioned before in this thread it would be nice to have the choice of whether the panel defaults back to the master HSL when you toggle back to another funchion like curves etc... and the come back to HSL or have it come back to the "page" you were last on be i master or any of the the other pages including the advanced HSL ranges and the clip low/clip high page.  Just my 2 cents from monkeying around.  It's so hard to really hammer on the panel with the sensitivity issues already mentioned and the communictations drop out problems with the Eucon control I've found when trying to connect the panel to a real work network.  Still keeping the faith.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

• Tue, Jul 3 2012 6:45 PM In reply to

• Dhansel
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 21
    • Points 470
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to offer suggestions on how to map the advanced controls.  Unfortunately the page buttons only control the six soft knobs in the interface.  That's the way it was originally designed by Euphonix.  So, while we could do this, you wouldn't have the ability to use the rings/balls for adjustment which I know you want.  BTW, I am going to get a demo of the implementation "using Shift-F2 I believe" from the engineer working on it this Friday.  I wanted to let you and others know we really are working on this functionality. 

Thanks,

Doug

• Thu, Jul 5 2012 9:40 PM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,440

That makes sense.  I hadn't notice how it effected just the soft knobs.  The physical logation does suggest that now that you mention it.  Perhaps the Bank buttons which control the balls and rings for master but the labeling of bank 1 and bank 2 doesn't really suggest the same thing as the arrows on the Page buttons.  Perhaps we could revisit the mod for the old adrenalines bobs where A1 and A2 got switched.  That was just a sticker fix so maybe Bank <  and Bank > stickers could come to the rescue?  I'm sure shift F2 will be fine too.  I'm more concerned about losing communications and having to restart the Eucon software to get it back.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

• Mon, Jul 9 2012 4:47 PM In reply to

• JohnnyMeck
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 1 2010
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 12
    • Points 140

I just got my artist color control up and working a couple days ago, and have to say the lack of functionality in the HSL highlight, midtones, and shadow is a major issue.  I use the midtone function in almost every shot.  Whomever the test panel was, does not realize the value of those tabs (or they recently upgraded from MC).  When the shift+F2 function is ready, will the track ball and toggle wheels effect the respective setup, gamma, gain, etc?  I know you said that is an issue with John Moore's page button suggestion (which I would vastly prefer), so I hope that does not also apply the the F2 solution.  Also, when do you forsee the update to be released?  As it stands, I feel limited by the panel and will probably return it if this is not addressed soon.  

Lastly,  I will suggest the ability to add a shift function to the "next/previous clip" transport keys so I can move by frames instead of clips.  I like many of the preset shift funtions to the soft keys, and think it makes sense to utilize the shift+"next/previous clip" for that kind of movement.  

Avid 8.8.5 Symphony, Artist DNxIO, HP z840, 2.6Ghz Xeon E5-2640 8 core, 64GB RAM, Windows 7, NVIDIA Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 2:15 PM In reply to

• JohnnyMeck
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Feb 1 2010
    • Knoxville, TN
    • Posts 12
    • Points 140

Any update on the shift-F2 controller patch?  

Avid 8.8.5 Symphony, Artist DNxIO, HP z840, 2.6Ghz Xeon E5-2640 8 core, 64GB RAM, Windows 7, NVIDIA Quadro M4000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 26 2012 2:35 PM In reply to

• Dhansel
    • Not Ranked
    • Burlington, MA
    • Posts 21
    • Points 470
    • Avid Employee
      BlogAuthor

We have an upcoming maintenance release, the very next one to go out the door, and it should have the ability to modify the subtabs with the surface.  However, I don't think the XML got done for "shift F2", so you'll have to go into it manually for now, but at least it will not force you back to the master tab..  I wanted to get it out to you all asap.  The Shift-F2 or mappable command to cycle around the tabs with the surface (like F2 today) will come out in the release after that.

When you say? 

Very, very soon.

Page 5 of 7 (97 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller