Latest post Tue, Dec 5 2017 5:24 PM by CinéMatica. 96 replies.
Page 4 of 7 (97 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Feb 5 2012 10:26 AM In reply to

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

Re: Artist Color Control Surface

I have two .

One provides nice little lights in the online suite - helping my graders to read their notes in the dark and the other is still in its box.

Waited soooooooooo long for this, but all my colorists have also stopped using them - having wasted many hours of fiddling. Very disapointed!

Were these ever Beta tested?

Is anyone using them successfully? And in what enviroment?

14xMC 5.03 on HP xw8200/8400/8600 2xSymphony Nitris DX 5.03 and 6.0 HP Z800/6 or 12 Gb ram/nvidia Quadro 4800 [view my complete system specs]

Abie Edit Studios Telaviv

• Sun, Feb 5 2012 3:14 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,720

Abie:

I'm sure they were. But what probably happened is what we are seing now. Folks who have never used a panel, think this is awesome. Folks who have used a panel, and know how they should work, think this is unusable.

Just because I find them unusable, doesn't mean John Moore doesn't like them better than using his mouse. SO my guess is Avid thinks they are "good enough."

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Mon, Feb 6 2012 7:54 AM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 392
    • Points 4,440

Abie:

I think one of the problems with beta testing for the V6 symphony in general and especially the Artist Color panal was the lack of 64 bit 3rd party effects during part of the beta testing period.  Until you can sit down with a real project for online it would be hard to put the color panal through it's paces.  It would have been hard to take a sequece for a paying client into V6 when they may have used effects like sapphire etc.. that might not have been available at that time.  I've been using a wacom and kennsington expert mouse trackball for years on symphony but most of my adjustments are done with the numeric pad I added on top of my wacom tables next to the trackball.  I find myself typing in numbers for setup gain channels etc.  I've adopted this approach because I never liked the feel of the slider controls.  Even with a 9x12 wacom the granularity or resolution of the sliders is too chunck for my tastes.  As Terry points out I think ignorance is bliss for me in that I never got accostomed to a full tilt color panal but I don't think the knobs on the Artist Color are as smooth as my old Zaxcom TBC remotes were.  I'm hoping this will be improved in the future.  I look forward to a chance to get my panal on a symphony but all my regular gigs are still pre V6.  In the meantime I can use it to learn resolve.  I certainly understand the frustration of trying to integrate the Artist Color when it doesn't live up to the expectations a seasoned big iron colorist has.  So come on Avid the Track Ball is in your court.  ;-)

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

• Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:32 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

Well they have said publicly that it is coming to DS, and DS does not have the long standing issues with granularity in the cc controls that Symp has.

Of example in my DS i select say, shadows, then setup, click in the entry box, hold down shift and twirl my pen, it goes up and down smoothly in .1 increments with  instant rt feedback on my output mon & scopes

If the software responds to the surface as well as it does to the pen then were playing with the big iron boys.

Hopefully the intergration will be more more interactive driveing software that is on it's own more interactive.

And in that case it's more about the core cc tools in symp than the surface's intergration with them?

Guess we wait and see what happens

d

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 8 2012 4:44 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,720

dermot:
    And in that case it's more about the core cc tools in symp than the surface's intergration with them?

That's exactly what the issue is.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 6:41 PM In reply to

• jfay
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 41
    • Points 465

dermot:

Well they have said publicly that it is coming to DS, and DS does not have the long standing issues with granularity in the cc controls that Symp has.

Of example in my DS i select say, shadows, then setup, click in the entry box, hold down shift and twirl my pen, it goes up and down smoothly in .1 increments with  instant rt feedback on my output mon & scopes

That doesn't sound like you much need a control surface if it works that well.

• Fri, Feb 24 2012 7:29 PM In reply to

• dermot
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Vancouver, Canada
    • Posts 524
    • Points 6,220

jfay:
    That doesn't sound like you much need a control surface if it works that well.

It does work that well...

But the surface brings heads up gradeing, with eyes on the screen not the GUI, and the ablity to change mutiple values at the same time...

So there's real world advantages to haveing a surface + a room set up to use it effectivly

d

8600 - 3700 - AJA 2Ke - u320 array - Dream Color [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 6 2012 10:40 PM In reply to

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

Bump

Any suggestions or improvements yet - Both my panels back in their boxes - won't take them out again untill I know it will work properly.

14xMC 5.03 on HP xw8200/8400/8600 2xSymphony Nitris DX 5.03 and 6.0 HP Z800/6 or 12 Gb ram/nvidia Quadro 4800 [view my complete system specs]

• Fri, Apr 6 2012 10:49 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,993
    • Points 37,720

No improvement yet, but they do work well with Color and Resolve.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Apr 11 2012 12:20 AM In reply to

My Artist Control's faders sure do slam very hard when switching from the timeline to the composer (if the shot has no audio).  I'm now at the point where the silver pads are flying off the control surface and landing on my keyboard.

Symphony 67 Nitris DX OSX | ISIS 5000 | MC7 Nitris DX OSX | MC7 OSX [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Apr 11 2012 4:01 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,344
    • Points 159,265

Robert David Sanders:

My Artist Control's faders sure do slam very hard when switching from the timeline to the composer (if the shot has no audio).  I'm now at the point where the silver pads are flying off the control surface and landing on my keyboard.

Wasn´t this a very early bug fixed in one of the 150 + bugfixes in 6,01 , I believe it was, not sure

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Apr 11 2012 9:37 AM In reply to

There is a fix for slamming faders, but you'll need to launch 'EuControl Settings' and update the firmware on the MC Mixer.

• Wed, Apr 11 2012 10:15 AM In reply to

We got a panel about a month ago and it works really well with resolve and FCP Legacy Color but with MC V6.0.1 it's too laggy to use in front of a paying client.

Hoping it gets resolved soon as it's pushing more of our grading work away from Avid currently as customers now see how much faster a panel makes grading.

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Symphony V8.6 / 8.3.1 HP Z400 system [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  VET

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet.co.uk | W www.vet.co.uk |

Media Composer V8.2 Review Background Render

-

Follow me on Twitter Pat_H_VET

Filed under:
  • Mon, Apr 16 2012 12:22 PM In reply to

• Abie
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Telaviv
    • Posts 268
    • Points 3,310

Any news about this from NAB?

Not able to get there, van someone please ask questions about this at the Avid Booth please, as I am yet to recieve any real answers.

• Fri, Apr 20 2012 12:18 AM In reply to

Boy, I was really reticent to do the firmware update on the Artist Control.  It took so much effort from Keycode just to figure out how to properly setup the network settings (because we're using both channels for the ISIS) and get the darn thing working I didn't want to mess anything up.

Good news is the update worked without a hitch.  Phew.  The slamming has reduced signficantly.

Symphony 67 Nitris DX OSX | ISIS 5000 | MC7 Nitris DX OSX | MC7 OSX [view my complete system specs]
Page 4 of 7 (97 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller