Latest post Wed, Nov 30 2011 5:45 PM by E-GoRe. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 1:36 PM

• jworms
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Aug 17 2011
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,350

Trouble placing a shot underneath a partially cropped shot.

I've got some footage which I've got a moving crop on, i.e a big chunk of the frame is black, ominously moving towards the character on the otherside of the frame.  Now I want to try something different: I want to exchange that black for a blurred part of the image, keeping the same moving crop area.  So I've tried duplicating the exact same shot, taking off the crop effect, blurring it and putting it underneath the cropped image, but all I can see is still the black of the cropped part of the original shot on top.  I want it to reveal the shot underneath, in Final Cut this is very straightforward, surely there is a way of doing it without having to redo all the keyframed cropped shots again in 3d Warp?

I hope this was understandable!

Thanks.

Jack

Avid Media Composer 6.5, HP Z400, 1 Intel® Xeon® Quad-Core Processor W3550, Integrated SATA 3.0 Gb/s with RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 support, NVIDIA Quadro 2000... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 2:09 PM In reply to

Re: Trouble placing a shot underneath a partially cropped shot.

Did you crop with a Resize or BlowUp, or with 3D Warp, or with PIP? Resize and BlowUp do not reveal what's underneath them. 3D Warp and PIP do.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 30 2011 2:26 PM In reply to

• E-GoRe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 25 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,905

Sounds like your missing an alpha channel.

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 4:42 PM In reply to

• mikela
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 28 2011
    • Posts 125
    • Points 1,405

the effect should have been built with Picture-In-Picture. That will give you a transparent background, where a simple rezise will leave black where the footage is cropped.

I don't think there's a way to copy the keyframes from the rezize to the pip effect, so you might have to rebuild them. maybe someone else will have more info.

• Wed, Nov 30 2011 5:45 PM In reply to

• E-GoRe
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 25 2011
    • Ontario
    • Posts 155
    • Points 1,905

If your effects were very intensive to build and you do not want to re-build you can try applying a luma key to the clip and remove the black background that way.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller